Upgrade to the 7000? Good deal?

eurotrash

So I have a D5100 that I've become fond of, with the exeption of all the nicer, easier to use features of the 7000. I have an opportunity through Adorama to trade in my 5100 with kit lens and Tamron 70-300 for "somewhere between 7-800". I just want the body of the 7000 and they say that they have some for $1080. Should I jump on this??

jcottone45

I'd be very careful if I were you, the 2 old adages of "Buyer Beware" and the Fool & His money & how they quickly part ways" apply here. I am not saying Adorama is shady nor am I saying the 7000 is not worth the money.
Nor am I calling you a fool. Just that you might wind up spending a lot more than you bargained for, just my thoughts & my cynical nature of good buys.!!!
Be careful and good luck if you pursue it!!!

roulitick

I purchased a D7000 in January on Ebay for $1150 (W/ shutter count of 206). It's just like new. Recently I've noticed some D7000's going for + or - $900. Unless you're just really bent on getting "new", I would check out Ebay!

eurotrash

No, I actually prefer used honestly. It's cheaper :) They may have a used one, and I'd be fine with a camera with less than 10000 shutter actuations honestly. Mine currently has 8000 so that's in the ball park. I'm not sure what Joe is referring to.. Adorama is a reputable enough site. Mr. Rockwell uses them so they can't be all that bad. I like the viewfinder (i wear glasses and it just looks better to me), easy access programmable buttons (whereas the 5100 only has one or two), ergonomics in general (a bit larger of a feel) of the 7000 better. I simply feel I've outgrown the 5100 and don't need the toys that it comes with such as all the modes and everything. I need to take pictures and I change settings a lot. Fiddling through that menu on the 5100 really kills me. Should have gotten it to start with so I can grow with it, but alas, money was short at the time.
So there are my main reasons. I want to minimize the cost as much as possible hence why I want to trade up instead of keep the 5100 as a backup at this point. Money is tight but not so tight that I can't splurge a few hundred on a new body that i KNOW I will like. The 5100 was a crapshoot in the camera store since I didn't really know what I wanted and the salesman thought HE did.. :/

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

Bad move . . . You're giving up too much in return for a USED camera. You're giving up your pampered, camera, that you know you took good care of and a lens that you also pampered. You have no history on the D7000. If I were you, I'd keep my D5100 and Tamron lens and save the money for a new body. Then you will have a nice Tamron lens and a back up body to go with your new D7000. Be patient.

Last edited:

jcottone45

Sorry if I gave the impression that Adorama was not reputable, I've dealt with them in the past & found them to be good enough to trust. I was thinking more along the lines of there maybe better deals out there than what they were offering.
Well good luck in your quest I hope you get the deal you can live with, the D7000 is an excellent camera. Happy shooting.!!!

eurotrash

The one from Adorama is apparently brand new body. I don't think I'm giving up too much. what, the articulated screen which I never use? The scenes mode which I never use? I'm confused, isn't the 7000 DEFINITELY a better camera for an intermediate level, even a semi-pro?

The main issue here is money. I don't have money. I don't want to buy a second body. :miserable:

Phillydog1958

I'm not referring to giving up features. Of course, the D7000 is an upgrade over the D5100, but I'm referring to you giving up a camera and a lens for a camera. I was suggesting that if you really don't have the money -- Wait. Wait until you have the money and not rush out to make a hasty decision that benefits Adorama. I thought that the D7000 was used, but even if it's new, you're still at a loss. But, if you really want to make this move, then by all means, go for it. Good luck. Just remember that the house always wins.

Rick M

Euro, or do you prefer Mr. Trash? :). I am in the same boat knowing I have outgrown the D5100. I am waiting to see what the next great Dx is going to be, especially now with the 24mp sensor out. Too me, since the D7000 and D5100 share the same sensor, it's not worth updating yet for a more pro body. With my luck the D7100 will come out the day after I buy the D7000!

When that comes out, I'll sell the D5100 for the down payment on the next Dxxx.

eurotrash

Yea, "Mr. Trash" has a nice ring to it :)
I hear what you're saying though MPX's aren't everything. I'm still able to blow up to 20x30 with a 16mpx sensor! I also hear what you're saying about upgrading, but by that point won't the 7100 (or whatever it's going to be called) be more expensive than the 7000 is currently? Also, the 5100 won't be worth quite as much, no? So really, doing it now would actually be cheaper? These are of course, all quesitons I have thought about but don't really know how the DSLR world works when it comes to buying/selling gear.

Do we have a theoretical ETA for the new 7000 model yet? These things are like apple product in the sense that they're updated pretty regularly around set times, ya?

Last edited:

Rick M

Yea, "Mr. Trash" has a nice ring to it :)
I hear what you're saying though MPX's aren't everything. I'm still able to blow up to 20x30 with a 16mpx sensor! I also hear what you're saying about upgrading, but by that point won't the 7100 (or whatever it's going to be called) be more expensive than the 7000 is currently? Also, the 5100 won't be worth quite as much, no? So really, doing it now would actually be cheaper? These are of course, all quesitons I have thought about but don't really know how the DSLR world works when it comes to buying/selling gear.Do we have a theoretical ETA for the new 7000 model yet? These things are like apple product in the sense that they're updated pretty regularly around set times, ya?

It's all speculative. As far as price of new units, I think They will be within a couple hundred of the model they replace. As far as the MP count, I tend to crop a bit, so I'd like more. The question too is how whatever sensor they use will perform. I'm resigned to waiting up to another 6 months to find out. I want to be satisfied with my next purchase for at least 5 years. All depends on what you need now.

jcottone45

It's all speculative. As far as price of new units, I think They will be within a couple hundred of the model they replace. As far as the MP count, I tend to crop a bit, so I'd like more. The question too is how whatever sensor they use will perform. I'm resigned to waiting up to another 6 months to find out. I want to be satisfied with my next purchase for at least 5 years. All depends on what you need now.

If you can wait till the end of the summer, wait, because I think that's when the replacement for the D300s will arrive & very possibly the replacement for the D7000 there after,so it may be more beneficial to upgrade to a higher/later generational model.!!! They may have more to offer too.!!! Wifi seems to be the big hint on the net!!!
Though it's available now as an attachment.

eurotrash

Hmm. Interesting sentiment from you both. Very interesting..
I don't know what to do (or really WHEN to do) at the moment. I suppose if a good enough deal were to come along I'd take it, but for now I suppose hanging on to my current and waiting for the next one which isn't too far off is a good idea.

Rick M

Another thing to consider is the talk of focusing issues on some D7000's. If this has merit, there are probably allot of them floating around in the used market, wouldn't want to get stuck with one with little or no warranty.

eurotrash

Went to my local camera shop to see what price they could give me on my 5100, kit lens, 50mm 1.8d and tamron 70-300 lens. Ready for this? $440 cash, $495 tradein for the 7000. They are selling a used 7000 for 1k, and new body for 1250. Wow. Adorama told me they'd give me around 7-800 for that stuff, MINUS the 50mm. What a rip. Looks like I'll be holding off for the new incarnation of the 7000 if Adorama is putting a good price on things up front on the phone, then turning around and saying, "oh, well you already sent it in but we'll give you $500 for everything. Deal?"

The worst part is that the salesguy then tried to justify his point further by looking it up on B+H's website after I gave him a perplexed look when I was quoted. It's almost a second cold slap in the balls when sales guys try and back themselves up like that.
This is simply another reason why I buy most things online. It's silly to think that these companies don't understand that we are what's keeping them in business. I know, i know...overhead, employee pay, yadda yadda. But c'mon. Don't shortchange your customers that bad.

On a lighter and better note, a lovely woman started chatting me up about wedding photography and pretty much demanded she give me her email and phone number lol. I thought that was awesome. First time I've been hit on in some time..

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Went to my local camera shop to see what price they could give me on my 5100, kit lens, 50mm 1.8d and tamron 70-300 lens. Ready for this? $440 cash, $495 tradein for the 7000. They are selling a used 7000 for 1k, and new body for 1250. Wow. Adorama told me they'd give me around 7-800 for that stuff, MINUS the 50mm. What a rip. Looks like I'll be holding off for the new incarnation of the 7000 if Adorama is putting a good price on things up front on the phone, then turning around and saying, "oh, well you already sent it in but we'll give you $500 for everything. Deal?"

The worst part is that the salesguy then tried to justify his point further by looking it up on B+H's website after I gave him a perplexed look when I was quoted. It's almost a second cold slap in the balls when sales guys try and back themselves up like that.
This is simply another reason why I buy most things online. It's silly to think that these companies don't understand that we are what's keeping them in business. I know, i know...overhead, employee pay, yadda yadda. But c'mon. Don't shortchange your customers that bad.

On a lighter and better note, a lovely woman started chatting me up about wedding photography and pretty much demanded she give me her email and phone number lol. I thought that was awesome. First time I've been hit on in some time..

Well, one thing you have to remember is this: Photo stores are in business for business. At the end, they have to make a profit. Now Nikon is very kind of strict with it's pricing policies so dealers pretty well can sell the products with a nice profit and they try to make you believe that they don't do a big markup on these items. Well, business being business, the fact is we don't know how much they are making.

What does this have to do with your question you'll ask. Well, lets say you had a store selling a product for 750$. If the product cost you 450.00$, you are making a good profit, but let's say it cost you 500$, then you made 250$ gross profit on that sale. Now let's say the customer comes back and wants to upgrade, why would you give back the commission you made on the sale? Would you buy back a used product and pay more than you would from the wholesaler? I think this is the heart of the problem. Stores make a profit and then they don't want to take the chance of selling a used product to make less money than on a brand new one. For them, it's the same amount of work. If they can't make the same profit on a second hand product, they'd rather sell a new one. This is why, the same applies when you buy a new car, the minute you walk out of the store with a new product, you just paid something for the dealer that sold it to you, and this money will be in his pockets.

eurotrash

I mean, I get that. But the camera isn't exactly old. When I bought it it cost me almost 1k. Can't believe it depreciated so quickly. A D90 still goes for good money used. I guess entry level stuff doesn't hold value well?

Rick M

I paid $600 for the D5100 Body, my expectation is to get about 450-500 after 1 year of light use. It all depends on condition and the current market, Sometimes you are better off selling it by the piece.

eurotrash

When the time comes, I'll sell mine on craigs list. Is the Tamron the VC?

:/ no. I've got the cheap one. I think I'll wait it out and see what the new 7000 model brings to the table. Keep the 5100 as a backup when I get the new one.

Last edited: