D800 vs Medium Format: at last some sense coming from the internet

Dr Daniels

This is perhaps the only real test I've seen so far that attempts to clarify all these talks regarding the D800 being on par with digital Medium Format cameras:

D800 vs Medium Format with Roth and Ramberg - YouTube

All we can say though is that the D800 is certainly the closest 35mm DSLR to the Medium Format cameras. It's not exactly there, but at least it has a package that is a lot more versatile than all MF systems out there. So it is an interesting and quite unique concept from Nikon.

westmill

Banned
Medium format will always remain top of the tree, regardles of pixel count, due to the larger sensor, full stop.
Just as FF will alway beat APSC and APSC will always beat four thirds etc.
All things being equal of course !!!!
When it comes to billboards, you are still blowing up medium format to a lesser degree.
What I do find very intresting though, is that the D800 has opened up a realm of a previously medium format teratory in file size.
As all stock shooters will know, you genraly get far more money for pics with huge file sizes.
I always think that there are two types of client.... one for prints and one for files.
For prints... Ive been happy enough with 12 milion pixels for the print sizes I do. 16 million copes with ease !
I would imagine, demand for huge files would be quite high, considering the so few people using medium format digital.
Im thinking Nikon has opened up an area in this feild for the masses due to the low entry price point.

Plateaulight

I have both cameras too. There are 3 things I wish they mentioned.
1) 40mp is the bottom of the barrel in current MF backs
2). The majority of the lens' that Nikon makes don't come close to giving enough resolution for the 36mp sensor whereas every single Hassy lens I have used can out resolve my 50 mp sensor.
3). Lightroom and photoshop are only 15 bit processing. While this does not hurt the Nikon (14 bit) I loose a good bit of my data in the shadows on the Hassy.
Fortunately Phocus is 16 bit processing and preserves the full histogram.
Phocus does process the Nikon file and the shadow detail then goes back to the Hassy camp as winner.

I am really hoping for some kick ass glass from Nikon