New member trying to decide on a D7000

Sage97

Hello guys and gals.

Glad to have found this great forum of Nikon shooters.

I'm new in the photography world and have never owned an SLR before. I'm torn between the D7k and another brand. I've been looking at the gallery in this forum but couldn't find one that displayed sample pics specifically taken by a D7k. I would highly appreciate anyone who can direct me to some D7k sample pics from the users on here. I'd like to make a decision within the next day or so.

I am excited to start this new found hobby and look forward to taking pictures of flowers, scenery, bugs, my son's sporting events and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You can look in my gallery where I have many pics shot with the D7000. There are also some with the D90 and D700. When you click on a picture in gallery, usually there are infos on the right that will say basic stuff (camera,focal lenght, iso etc.).
The D700 is a wonderful camera. If you do go to my gallery, all picture from Hungary were taken with it.

Eye-level

Banned
Get it and/or it's little brother, the D5100.

The little brother is a very interesting rig...same sensor as the big brother...less money...just as tough I bet...the little brother can mount just about any F mount lens known to man Ai or not too... :)

Last edited:

pedroj

The D7000 has an auto focus motor it [D5100 doesn't] which means you can buy a lens like the 80-200mm ED F2.8 for about $1200 where as the 70-200mm AF-S F2.8 almost double....Plus there are other AF lens that are very good...
I picked up a Nikon 300mm AF ED F4 second hand for less then half the cost of the Nikon AF-S F4 300mm...

Any way have fun with what ever you buy..

The surfing images in my Gallery were taken with the Nikon 300mm AF ED F4...Link below

Saltwater Surfing - Nikonites Gallery

D7000 supports Auto FP high-speed sync and color temperature for WB which D5100 doesn't. With color temperature fine tuning, photographer can do much better to control WB. With Auto FP high-speed sync, outdoor fill-in flash photos can be achieved easily. This picture taken with backlight (sunlight) and filled-in by an SB-800 at speed of 1/1250th of a second:

dsc1661j.jpg

Without Auto FP high-speed sync, I couldn't make those photos like this.
Nikon D80, D200, and ups support Auto FP high-speed sync as well. But D5100 and downs don't have that important feature.

eurotrash

These features not be important to an entry level photographer. That being said, it's a fantastic camera to learn with for a few years for sure. I'm contemplating selling mine if you're interested, OP.