50mm 1.8 D

akretzman

just ordered one from Adorama...getting excited to have a new lens on the way...should be here in 2 days...

what are your thoughts on the 50?

Ruidoso Bill

You will enjoy it, they are nice and sharp. Nice for portrait work but not wide enough (DX) for group shots indoors, sometimes it isn't practical to back away.

westmill

Banned
A cracking lens :) Very sharp in the middle of the frame even wide open, but edges are poor, which is fine if your
after a nice bokeh at 1.8. By f2.8 the edges are very good too. By F4 central quality outperforms the resolution of
a D200 while the edges are excellent here too. Focus is pretty fast too on the D300.
At the price and considering the performance its crazy not to own one.
You made a sound decision !

westmill

Banned
Of course it will ? Im not sure what you are seeing or reading in my post lol
Its a great idea to use this lens on a D200 or any other camera ! It would allow a Nikon D200 owner to see what its capable of.
I never gave even the slightest hint that it wouldnt. So what... Big deal... Whats your problem ?

Eye-level

Banned
It just seems like you are saying the D200 is an inferior camera that's all...it's an alright camera well loved by many folks that use them...really I could care less. I also believe about half of the crap one reads on the internet about lens performance is hogwash.

westmill

Banned
Well i can assure you I wasnt :) My fave camera is my trusty D300
I only mention the D200 because thats the camera it was tested on. Its the fact that the D200 is such a good
camera, that shows just how good the lens is. I agree with you too about a lot of lens reports.
I just use two main sites that i trust for info on lenses and cameras. For lenses I check on photozone,
and depreveiw for cameras. Ive also owned a 50mm F1.8 d for about 3 years.
Its a mint lens. The fact its capable of reaching the resolution limits is govened by the size and amount of pixels
in a camera. The D200 has ten milion the D300 has 12 milion. Thats not a lot more, which meens it would be
likely to be also scratching at the resolution limits of my D300 too.

akretzman

arrived today!! took a few quick test shots with my 5000...i am gonna like this lens...i feel its gonna let me be in complete control of my camera and bring back some basics lol

Milan

Hi, am using the 50mm reverse mounted on d90, it works as a fantastic macro lens but am unable to trigger my sb-600 off camera in the commander mode. Could someone please help me with the settings

PhotoAV8R

Just guess here, but if you're shooting macro, are you sure the flash is "in the cone" of the camera's built-in flash? Check the manual, page 188.