Along The Highway

nick29

Hi guys, took this photo last night along with a few others similar. I was just experimenting with my camera along the highway. Just wanting to know how to improve on these kind of shots.
f/16
ISO 100
Exposure time - 20 seconds

DSC_1049 edit small.jpg

pedroj

Just a couple of things with this image...I feel the timber barrier is a distraction [If you get on a bend in the road] and maybe take a torch with you and do a bit of light painting in darker areas..Don't shine it in drivers eyes...

nick29

I didn't have the flash on in this image. After pedroj mentioned about the barrier, I can see that it is a distraction now. It's all in the name of improving!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the overpass takes too much room in the picture. If you would have gotten on the other side to have just the road with car lights it might have been more interesting. The light trails became second point of interest since the overpass and the wall take too much space.

Browncoat

The trick with these types of shots is universal: the light trails have to be the most prominent feature in the photo. It's cool to have some highway showing, possibly a lit up skyline in the background. There's way too many distractions here. I think you were too close to a light source and with a long exposure time, it's adding far too much light.

nick29

Points noted. I'd go back and try again but they are actually closing the bridge next week for 6 months because they are expanding the highway. It was my first time with this kind of shot so I'll take all your suggestions on board and try again on another highway somewhere.