How does one "optimize" their screen?

eurotrash

I'm about to take some photos to print, but don't know what they'll look like when they com out. I'm worried that they'll be too saturated, too light/dark, not sharp etc.

I'm working with a circa 2008 Penryn Macbook Pro and Lightroom currently. I wanted to know if there are things I can calibrate to ensure that the photos come out just as I see them. I know there are inconsistencies with printing at different locations, but they should come out all the same right?

I've never had problems before, but I never really compared them to what I see on screen either. Here is one shot I plan on printing:

_DSC0137.jpg

Full size image, not sure if that goes against the rules or not 0.o
Everything looks more saturated on my end when viewed, the compression likely takes some of that away on this image you're seeing.
Also, the kit lens is decent. I'm still waiting on money for a nice wide angle :)

Anyways, any tips, recommendations etc appreciated as always.

Carroll

I have my local Walgreen's make a 4x6 print for 19 cents. I pick up the print in normally about 30 minutes. I live in a small town that has only 2 places that print photos, and I like them the best. Naturally, they will make larger prints, too. Cheap way to check out what your software does, and what you did with the camera. Just my 19 cents worth...

eurotrash

LOL. Nice. Might head to the Walgreens and check that out. I could print endlessly at that price to compare!

Also checking out Spyder now..

westmill

Banned
The pro lab I use for prints, is a matter of making sure you tell them to print as shot !
Otherwise.... Automation will wreck all your hard work lol

Browncoat

The pro lab I use for prints, is a matter of making sure you tell them to print as shot !
Otherwise.... Automation will wreck all your hard work lol

That's not the way to go. Print labs have different color standards and having them auto-correct for color is a surefire way to end up with something you don't want.

I also use Spyder and can vouch for its accuracy. If Bill says there's one available for Mac, then that's what I'd recommend as well.

westmill

Banned
That's not the way to go. Print labs have different color standards and having them auto-correct for color is a surefire way to end up with something you don't want.

I also use Spyder and can vouch for its accuracy. If Bill says there's one available for Mac, then that's what I'd recommend as well.
Errrrrr thats what I just said lol ?
If you tell them print as shot, they will turn all auto correct functions off.
Otherwise it wont make the slightest differance how accurate your screen or anything else is,
since it will all get auto corrected otherwise.

eurotrash

The reason I ask is that the local chain camera store that used to handle my prints has gone under. Now, I'd have to drive 15 miles to print stuff at a different location. So, now, I need to find a place that can replicate what I have on my screen accurately. Instead of relying on one of these to have amazing print machines that aren't going to look funny, I need to find out which one is closest/cheapest/best quality and compare that print to what I have on my screen. Adjust screen to fit pictures in hand, and boom. I should have a general idea of what will be being produced on the other end.

Today I'm picking up prints of the same photo, same options of one shot from three different places. Costco, CVS, and Walgreens all offer printing (with Walgreens being 4x more expensive than Costco!!) We will see who wins the battle and if the prints match my screen currently. That seems like the best option, ya?

westmill

Banned
I had the same thing. It can be a nuisance having to find another decent lab.
I find the best quality is when I print them myself. its a damm site cheaper to take them to a lab if you have a lot though.
I can also only print upto 13" x 19" or A3+ so I have no choice when I need bigger prints than that.

eurotrash

the largest i've gone is 8x12 so far. the girlfriend wants me to do a panorama of a sunset and blow it up to something in the range of "f%ckin' huge" to put in our home, so I've got to really prepare for that one :confused:

westmill

Banned
You could always try a canvas bonded print !
Ive just had an order for a 30 x 40 one of those. It seems they are coming back in fasion lol
Ive not been asked for a canvas bonded print for ages :)