uv filter negitive effect on shots

lee786

Hi I have ordered a Hoya UV filter and a skylight 1B mainly to protect my kit 18-55mm lens
but have just been informed on another forum that these are the wrong thing to use

opinions?

westmill

Banned
It very much depends on the filter itself. A cheapo filter can certainly ruin the quality of any lens.
Its not just about the the coating either. Some can even be made of plastic.
A UV filter to protect that front element is a good idea. BUT ! Only if you use a top quality filter
like the Hoya pro. These are glass, and much thinner than standard, and multi-coated.
Its not just the rims which are thinner, the actual glass is thinner than a normal filter.
image deterioration when using filters like the hoya pro is tiny.

lee786

both are Hoya but only standard both only cost me £10 I will no doubt get higher grade
filters with time but I am just getting started

westmill

Banned
Well you can always test them, once you get them.
Just take a pic before you fit the filter on lens and take the same pic with the filter fitted.
Just make sure you do it exactly the same.

eurotrash

Had a Quantaray filter on my camera's lenses for ...well, since I bought it. Recently took it off and am enjoying a tad sharper and more colourful pictures. Cheap glass will bring cheap results. Though, if you're only aim is to protect your glass and you can deal with the very slight loss of quality, go for it. That's what I did :)

I'm currently in the market for a nice Polarizer however with all that said..

Had a Quantaray filter on my camera's lenses for ...well, since I bought it. Recently took it off and am enjoying a tad sharper and more colourful pictures. Cheap glass will bring cheap results. Though, if you're only aim is to protect your glass and you can deal with the very slight loss of quality, go for it. That's what I did :)

I'm currently in the market for a nice Polarizer however with all that said..
Bunch of people bought very expensive UV protective filters get the same problem as you did. What they don't know is we need to watch out and clean the filers often as well. Dust, tiny water and oil drops and dried on the filter's outer face make your lens loose its sharpness and contrast. They also make your image get flare, fringed color, achromatic color when taking picture in backlight as well.

What you need to do are use good UV filter to protect the lens AND clean your lens filter often. You don't want to clean your pristine lens' front element because of dust, the tiny water, and/or oil drops on it.

§am

The Hoya Pro Digital UV filters are a good choice for if nothing else, front lens protection.
Remember, you've spent anything from £10's - £100s of your money, so don't be tight with your money of using a cheap filter to protect it (but of course be reasonable)