Umbrella vs Box lights?

mjackson907

Upon doing some research, I'm leaning towards the box lights. This isn't for serious professional portrait photography or anything, just some posed kiddo shots and wife/family stuff. My main question is if anyone recommends brands or styles or whatever :)

Browncoat

Check out Dirt Cheap Lighting: A Buyer's Guide

And yes, Jack gives some sage advice. Softboxes are for softer, directional lighting whereas umbrellas are for more harsh, less controlled lighting. Each has its place, though I would argue that softboxes are more versatile overall with higher quality lighting. Umbrellas are far more convenient and portable, though.

mjackson907

Are there particular brands to look for or to avoid (cheap tripods can really ruin a day of shooting, but i'd imagine that lighting is lighting is lighting, right?)

westmill

Banned
Soft boxes seem a little over the top for your needs. Where soft boxes are concerned, the bigger the better.
The better ones have a diffuser in the middle as well as the one at the front. They also eat a lot of light, so
fairly powerful flash heads are needed. You will also need a fair amount of room to use them.
They genraly fold up for storage though. Another alternative you may wish to look at are beauty dishes.
Ive not used them myself, but Ive seen the pics and Ive heard they are very good.
Just google beauty dish, Im sure you will find them easy enough.
They could be just what you need !

Browncoat

Are there particular brands to look for or to avoid (cheap tripods can really ruin a day of shooting, but i'd imagine that lighting is lighting is lighting, right?)

As with just about everything else, there are two types of lighting: cheap and good. Pick one.

What kind of budget are you working with? And what all do you need?