Which Filter System for landscape photography?

tenthumbs

I am looking for suggestions as to which filter system to use for landscape photography. I have been using the Cokin P filter system with my old Pentax (and I liked them) but I didn't put much thought in other brands.

Now that I'm a Nikonite, I plan on shooting much of my landscape photos with the Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens on my D7000. Of couse none of the filter holders are the same size as my new lenses. I realize you can get adapters but I wish to see other alternatives before making a choice. Problem is, there seems to be a lot of choices and it's not clear which path I should take. Stick with Cokin or?

Thank you!

Eye-level

Banned
I would get a polarizer and a couple of ND filters unless you are going to shoot B&W then you'll have to add some colored ones... Since you are shooting a very nice camera you probably should just go ahead and get some Nikon filters...

Tenthumbs,

I have Cokin P filter system and used that for film cameras (Nikons and Canons as well). The system good for film cameras because most of lenses have filter sizes smaller than 72mm. With new standard 77mm, Cokin P system doesn't fit well, specially for the wide-angle lenses/zoom and DX format. On DX cameras and wide-angle lenses; B&W, Canon, and Nikon making thinner filters to work with them. The other thicker filters may make your images get vignetting easily.

darlenec59

While we're on this subject, I am going to purchase a Polarizing filter for my D-3000. I know this is a Nikon website but is there a big difference between the Nikon and the Hoya? Thanks, you are all always very helpful!!

westmill

Banned
If you are going to use filters on good glass and camera you need the best. I would recomend Hoya Pro 1 .
There is more to filters than you might think. Ressin is a bit of a no no on digital. The good glass is multicoated etc but if you wish
to retain the quality of your lens, the Pro filters like the hoya Pro range.... Its not just the metal mounts which are thinner but the glass
also. For most filters, your better off using PS. Some cant be done in PS though of course, like a polarizer.
A good polarizer on fast glass is going be costly. if you cant afford a good one I would manage without one :)

westmill

Banned
That depends on you to be honnest. Even the best of filters you lose a tiny amount of quality. This is not worth bothering with. Some cheap filters will turn your lens into a jam jar though. I see your using a D7000... I would say buy the
top filters or you may as well have bought a cheaper camera. Thats just my personal point of view though :D

fotojack

I was looking at a Nikon Polarizer on Amazon for $75.00. Is that worth it? It's a circular polarizer.

Short answer: yes. :) Also, I recommend the same as westmill does...the Hoya brand filters. I can also faithfully recommend Tiffen filters. Excellent filters used by the film industry.