Overexposed?

Poolkas

I headed out this evening at 7 pm with my D3100 in lovely evening sunshine (odd for Northern Ireland) to try out some shutter priority shots at the local salmon weir, i.e. weir, tree reflecting on pool above weir, lovely blue sky behind (approx 2/5 of view). Used my 50mm f1.8 AF-S. Tried Auto to get indicative readings before going to manual. Selected 2 secs and highest F (22) at ISO 100. Guess what? Blown. I tried all sorts. Thing is if I moved below 2 secs the water would not blur so it had to stay. Could not reduce ISO. Camera would not give me more than f22 (though fleetingly I saw f35 which disappeared almost instantly. Changing to my kit lens 18-55 f4-5.6 saw a little improvement but the sky was so pale, tree and background greenery washed out even at 1/2 sec DSC_2562.jpgDSC_2546.jpg. I don't yet know enough to get into filters, nor do I know enough about Adobe (I have NX viewer2 and Gimp). What am I doing wrong. Big learning step here for me. Help would be appreciated. Do I need filters and if so which?
PS I have reduced the size of the photos. I don't yet know how to add metadata as I am a total newcomer to the site.

This is a candidate for HDR.. At least shoot at least three or more shots of each going down one stop, then two stops the go up onr stop and then two stops.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3100
Image Date: 2012-04-12 18:06:12 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Aperture: f/22.0
Exposure Time: 0.400 s (1/3)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: -1.67 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Ver.1.01

seeing how you shot this looks like you were trying to soften the water? Show movement? Study up on HDR. (Google it) now sure what software you have or if you can do it.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Way overexposed indeed. Your picture's exif shows .4 second @ f22 with an iso of 100. Now the sunny 16 rule would say that for a 100 iso you should be using 1/100 sec (.01 sec) at f16. Since you were at f22, you should have been around 1/50th sec which would be .02 sec. I noticed that you were on manual exposure. I think you did something wrong unless this was the result you were looking for. Was it?

miknoypinoy

I think you need neutral density filters for shooting slower shutter speeds in bright scenes like that. you were trying to get a nice flowing water shot thus the longer shutter speed? (edit. . sorry just read your post again and that's what you were trying to do. lol) I'm just guessing here. may be someone with more experience could add more to this. none the less they look great. a little post processing could probably tighten them up. .

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
When I first started shooting my camera's fastest shutter speed was 1/500...I wanted to make bokeh and all I had was a 50/2.8 and 100 speed film...I found that even in the shade of a tree during the daylight hours I was over exposed at 1/500 and 2.8 wide open...the only solution was a ND filter...

hdrfalls.jpg

Rick M

Just a ? If you bracket 3 or 4 shots and then HRD them what would the moving water come out like?

Here's one I did a while back , HDR waterfall, for example.

The first with slow shutter speeds, the second "normal" speeds

Falls HDR-3.jpg

Attachments

• falls 3 HDR.jpg
    falls 3 HDR.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

westmill

Banned
Nikon matrix metering often has a bad habbit of over exposing in bright contrasty conditions.
Try using your spot meter or centre weighted and use AE lock in such conditions.
Also, the lens is going perform rather badly stopped down to F22. Try not to go past F16 !
I dont know if you shot JPG or RAW either, but shooting RAW would give you far better control
of putting detail in the highlights and shadow areas.
The only way of getting long shutter speeds in such bright conditions is as been said and using neutral density filters.
A tripod will obviously be nesercary here too. To make things even more steady, once on the tripod use your self timer.
Happy shooting !!!!!!

MrRamonG

Now that does look real. Nice
Thanks! it was a lot of work to use the HDR and not have it come out looking surreal. But the tone range necessary to convey the image I saw necessitated the use of HDR. Unfortunately you can still see some halo on the rocks.

In some cases I really like the surreal look of HDR. I think Cnyram's second image is very nice.

Poolkas

Hi. Thanks for the comments. However I am doing a photography course and we were told to get out and try various things including shooting a waterfall (salmon weir in this case) using slow shutter, to get a milky effect. Slow shutter, low ISO and small aperture were intentional. Also we were instructed to try to get away from the auto modes if possible.

Poolkas

Thanks for that. I did use a tripod and timer. I know nothing yet about filters apart from UV as protection. I will look into these (literally!)