Neo-Nikonite

Lscha

Hello to you all. I have seen some beautiful photography here. I am new to photography and have a new Nikon D3100. I know ...... nothing. I'll be watching and learning. Still looking for the thread that explains all the acronyms. :D

Eye-level

Banned
DOF depth of field
OOF out of focus
DSLR camera...hahaha

That is about all you need to know to begin...and Auto of course...

Welcome to the forum Lscha...please show us some pictures you have made...that is the really good way to learn...make snaps the more the better. :)

Lscha

Thanks Jeff and Bill, I started putting some on my gallery. There are so many great ones on here, it's almost intimidating. I'm just learning anyway.

I'd like to put one on the challenge this week. I went out tonight and snapped a few of the old barn across the road. I'll see if I can get something better later in the week.

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, Lscha. Hope you enjoy your stay with us for many moons to come. :) Like Jeff said...take lots of pictures, read your manual, ask questions, and have fun while doing it. :)

Some more acronyms: DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex
DSC = Digital Still Camera
P&S = Point & Shoot (camera)

More to follow. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Welcome to the forum, Laura!

. . . and more acronyms, ROFL =rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLCGU = rolling on the floor laughing and can't get up

Eye-level

Banned
If you are a beginner then I guess you'd call this one beginner's luck...very good photo!

Where in the heck is the Sebewaing sugar factory???

sebewaing_sugar_factory.jpg

Lscha

This is truly beginners luck. I took this out of the window of a moving car. I had the dial set to 'sports' and it just so happened the sun was setting behind the factory. Sebewaing is in Michigan's thumb. The sugar factory is it's claim to fame. :rolleyes:

Eye-level

Banned
So I found out...the Michigan Sugar Company...makes all the sugar in Michigan with the help of about 1500 independent sugar beet farmers...they make a lot of molasses too! I thought they made sugar from sugar cane only...you know C&H Pure Cane Sugar but I guess not! I learn something new everyday... :)

Mike150

Welcome Laura, from one someone who constantly learning from these guys. When I grow up (I'm already old) I want to be able to take pictures like they do.

Don't forget the most important acronym of all.

NAS
Nikon Acquisition Syndrome
The uncontrollable urge to buy new Nikon Camera equipment.

Carolina Photo Guy

Hello to you all. I have seen some beautiful photography here. I am new to photography and have a new Nikon D3100. I know ...... nothing. I'll be watching and learning. Still looking for the thread that explains all the acronyms. :D

You knew enough to come here, so that makes you pretty dang smart!

Another acronym.... FUBAR... Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition :) my favorite!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Is everyone seeing the acronym tool tips when you put your mouse over an underlined one?

Lscha

Thank you for the welcomes and comments. NAS: my husband is already really nervous.;) FUBAR: that is so funny! I have done this so many times to my 'point and shoot' photos trying to make them something they aren't!

Most of the photos I will post are all accidents. I have yet to slow down enough to gather info on the shots but I'm working on it. Not having to deal with film is so enabling when it comes to wild snapping!!

Lscha

Jack! Thank you! Also, how do I find the exif data if I'm not slick enough to get it off my camera before I download and delete my pics from the card? Should I download an EXIF Data Viewer program?

fotojack

Jack! Thank you! Also, how do I find the exif data if I'm not slick enough to get it off my camera before I download and delete my pics from the card? Should I download an EXIF Data Viewer program?

Yup, download a free EXIF viewer program called FxIF (spelled just like that). Do a Google on it and you'll see where to download it from. Install it, read the instructions, and away ya go! :) Easy peasy. :)

By the way...EXIF is an acronym for Exchange Information Format. :)

By the way...Laura...that pdf file is for the D300s....NOT the D3100. I don't believe you have 4 banks of settings to set up.

Last edited: