Fx vs Dx Comparisons

Rick M

Lately a topic of discussion on several threads has been if we could tell the difference between high quality dx shots verses fx. Some of our members are fortunate enough to have both great Dx and Fx cameras (Sam, Glenn, James and Marcel come to mind, I know there are more). I thought it would be nice if those folks posted some of their high quality work from both formats without posting the exif data. We could all get a chance to determine (guess perhaps) what is the format used. The photo contributors would have the same opportunity with the other contributors. This might be a fun exercise, and help put that discussion (sometimes arguement) to rest.

Last edited:

Sambr

Okay here are two photos taken the same day - one with a D300 & the with a D700 which is which(Don't cheat)
1186988564_ffT5a-L.jpg

1204242878_gTHVJ-L.jpg

pedroj

There is an obvious difference here the first image is by far better to my eye...were both images taken with the same lens at the same focal length if not I don't think it's a true test...I will say the the first was taken with the D700...

Eye-level

Banned
I can't tell which is which and I don't necessarily think the first one is better either...super sharp focus is ok but I like softer focused stuff myself...so which is which? I know I am sort of leaning towards the second picture because I think the lighting is better and I like the soft focus or DOF or whatever it is about it but I really can't tell you if it is fx or dx...if anything I would say it is dx (that is #2)!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Lately a topic of discussion on several threads has been if we could tell the difference between high quality dx shots verses fx. Some of our members are fortunate enough to have both great Dx and Fx cameras (Sam, Glenn, James and Marcel come to mind, I know there are more). I thought it would be nice if those folks posted some of their high quality work from both formats without posting the exif data. We could all get a chance to determine (guess perhaps) what is the format used. The photo contributors would have the same opportunity with the other contributors. This might be a fun exercise, and help put that discussion (sometimes arguement) to rest.

I don't have a FX camera anymore (for now). But using the D7000 DX vs D700 FX camera, you won't see any difference if you use ISO 800 or below other than the field of view, assuming you are using the same lens, ISO and focal length. The FX of course is much wider and has a one stop advantage over the D7000 based on my tests.

Since I am using just the D7000 for now, I do miss the wider field of view of the FX for landscape. Technically, the DX would yield a thinner DOF based on the DOF calculator. However, if you use the same lens with the FX, you would have to move closer in order to get the similar framing of the DX. Closer to the subject changes the DOF and makes it much thinner than DX.

To demonstrate the ISO advantage and the wider FOV of the FX, here are the shots taken at ISO 3200 using the D7000 DX camera followed by the D700 FX camera. Please disregard the white balance since they can be adjusted to your taste.

If the wider field of view helps out, then the FX is the better choice; If you are into wildlife photography, then the DX might work best for you.

D700_32001.jpg

D7000 DX at ISO 3200
D7K_3200.jpg

One great advantage for landscape shooters with the FX camera, you would rarely need wider than a 24mm which has an equivalent 16mm FOV when compared to the DX.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The only thing I can tell is second one OOF about 5-6". Thereso, you can't call this is a test.

Judging the IQ between the D700 and D300, the first image has a better Dynamic Range so I'll choose the first image taken by a FX and second image by the D300.

However, to add "fun" in this challenge, let me add something using the D700 and D7000. Lets see if you can determine just by looking at the images. You'll see the answer on my flicker account once you click on the image.

Good luck and let us know if you got all of them correctly or not i.e. 1 of 4 correct or 4 of 4 correct. :D

Image #1

Cherry Blossoms Kamakura by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Image # 2

24-120mm f4_035 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Image # 3

29Oct11_9371 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Image # 4

05Nov11_0127 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Rick M

I realize this is not a scientific test. We can read those all day long on the net. This is extremely beneficial to me in my decision making, I like to weigh decisions with true application by real users, not just all the technical dribble. Thanks to those contributing

Last edited:
I don't have a FX camera anymore (for now). But using the D7000 DX vs D700 FX camera, you won't see any difference if you use ISO 800 or below other than the field of view, assuming you are using the same lens, ISO and focal length. The FX of course is much wider and has a one stop advantage over the D7000 based on my tests.

Since I am using just the D7000 for now, I do miss the wider field of view of the FX for landscape. Technically, the DX would yield a thinner DOF based on the DOF calculator. However, if you use the same lens with the FX, you would have to move closer in order to get the similar framing of the DX. Closer to the subject changes the DOF and makes it much thinner than DX.

To demonstrate the ISO advantage and the wider FOV of the FX, here are the shots taken at ISO 3200 using the D7000 DX camera followed by the D700 FX camera. Please disregard the white balance since they can be adjusted to your taste.

If the wider field of view helps out, then the FX is the better choice; If you are into wildlife photography, then the DX might work best for you.

One great advantage for landscape shooters with the FX camera, you would rarely need wider than a 24mm which has an equivalent 16mm FOV when compared to the DX.
I agree with Glenn on all of the text in bold.
I want to add two advantages for landscape shooters with an FX camera:

First of all, without the crop factor, landscape pictures taken by FX cameras get less distortion than the one taken by DX cameras at the same FOV. For example, to have the same FOV of an FX camera with a wide angle lens 24mm; a DX needs to have an 18mm wide angle lens mounted on it. That 18mm focal contributes more distortion to the photos.
Secondly, with the crop factor 1.5 applied to DX camera sensor, the limitations of use for filters CP and ND become bigger: You should not use filters CP or ND with super-wide-angle lens that have focal shorter than 20mm. With an FX, 20mm is wide enough. With a DX, 20mm has a FOV equals to 30mm on FX camera only.

Judging the IQ between the D700 and D300, the first image has a better Dynamic Range so I'll choose the first image taken by a FX and second image by the D300.
I disagree with you here Glenn:
For those two pictures: Sam shot first one with a prime lens 300mm on D700. The second one, D300 + zoom lens at max focal 500mm. How can we talk about the IQ of them? This case, the zoom lens should be the thing to be blamed on. Also, the second picture gets blurry because of shaking camera too.

D300 and D700 are the same generation of image sensors. I don't think the Dynamic Range get much differences. DR difference you found there comes from difference between a prime lens (300mm) on D700 and a junk zoom mounting on that D300 to take second picture.

Sambr

LOL Folks - it's not like we are building a piano here. What I can tell you is both those shot SOLD for $350.00 each framed 11x14 - the fellow who bought them didn't care or know they were from two different cameras :)

Sambr

I disagree with you here Glenn:
For those two pictures: Sam shot first one with a prime lens 300mm on D700. The second one, D300 + zoom lens at max focal 500mm. How can we talk about the IQ of them? This case, the zoom lens should be the thing to be blamed on. Also, the second picture gets blurry because of shaking camera too.

D300 and D700 are the same generation of image sensors. I don't think the Dynamic Range get much differences. DR difference you found there comes from difference between a prime lens (300mm) on D700 and a junk zoom mounting on that D300 to take second picture.

I take offense to your comment "junk zoom" that happen to be the new at that time Nikon 28-300VR -not cheap and not junk. This zoom has produced some stunning images both with the D300 & D700 - those coyote shots were shot in the wild not in a zoo where you have time to set up a Tripod there were taken on the fly.

A bit of a lesson for you buddy don't call stuff "junk" unless you personally can back it up with experience not magazine articles.