D5100 In Camera HDR

eurotrash

Only works with JPEG images and only does 2 shots. Also disables itself after the shot is taken so you need to re-enable it after EVERY shot. You can however map this feature to a hotkey if you want.

Go to menu, camera icon, go down a page, hit HDR. Enable.

Alternatively, turn on bracketing and shoot up to 3 shots and merge them in post.

Rick M

You'll get better results bracketing 3 raw shots. That feature is more marketing fluff than anything else. You may get some decent results, but the concept was not properly deployed by Nikon.

tadd5181

A dumb question: When I try to use HDR, I find it greyed-out, no mater what other settings I have on...how do I turn it on when it is greyed out?

eurotrash

Yea, that's correct. RAW+JPEG will give you two files, one of each. Takes awhile to process this in the camera though so I usually do JPEG Normal when shooting in JPEG. I only shoot JPEG when I know I will be taking a TON of photos so that I don't miss shots due to the buffer filling quickly. Seems the 5100 likes to slam the buffer quite quickly when firing off RAW shots like that.

ALSO make sure you're set to MULTIPLE SHOT instead of SINGLE SHOT if you're bracketing. In HDR mode in camera, this won't matter.

Hope that helps.. if not, I have no idea why it wouldn't let you. :\

Last edited:

tadd5181

HDR is greyed-out, nothing eurotrash wrote tells me how to get HDR to be non greyed-out. However, I finally found the answer...HDR does not work if bracketing is on...turning that off, then HDR is available...

Last edited:

eurotrash

it won't work with scenes modes.
it won't work in Auto mode.
it won't work with RAW files.
it won't work with bracketing enabled.
Stick it in "A" and see if it lights up.

Also try mapping a shortcut key to the HDR if you use it a lot. That may help out some.

This is why I bracket shots. It's way easier, you get better quality out of it and you have complete control over your shot.
Sorry but that's all I got man... Read the manual on page 76 if you're still stuck or call upon Nikon's tech support as a last resort.

nikonnoob

I had this exact problem when I went to use the HDR mode. I searched everywhere and just thought my camera was broke, lol. I acually had to go into "Multipule exposure" (although it said off) and turn it on then back out of it then go back in and set it to off. Funny but then my "HDR" mode was not greyed. Maybe it was just me, thought I should share that.

Thanks

AC016

I just started to read about HDR and the HDR feature on the 5100. I would imagine that a pro photog would thinkg that it is a bit gimmicky. However, to a beginner like me, it is a way to enter the realm of HDR. I know, it only takes two images and the minimum - from what i have read - is three shots. So, perhaps, it is not "true" HDR. THough, it gives you a good idea of what it is and how your pictures will look like. I have not tried it yet, but am eager to do so.

Browncoat

Not trying to discourage anyone from using this feature, but...

Your computer has a far more powerful processor than your camera. If you really want to do HDR, the software is about a hundred bucks (for the full version). Compared to the rest of your gear, that's a drop in the bucket. You gain the ability to completely manipulate the image how you see fit, and on a much bigger screen.

Just my 2 cents.

AC016

Not trying to discourage anyone from using this feature, but...

Your computer has a far more powerful processor than your camera. If you really want to do HDR, the software is about a hundred bucks (for the full version). Compared to the rest of your gear, that's a drop in the bucket. You gain the ability to completely manipulate the image how you see fit, and on a much bigger screen.

Just my 2 cents.

You are correct about the processor. Also, if someone really wanted to get into HDR photography, $100 bucks is a small price to pay. For myself, i won't go there yet until i learn more of what the camera and your's truly can do by themselves;)