Nikkor 18-135 contacts

crisscross

This lens came as the kit lens for D80 and I suppose has been in use for 5 years

I am increasingly finding I get an f0 reading and no a/f when mounting it. It can usually be overcome by slight jiggling, there is a bit of wear at the ned of the plastic bayonet OR cleaning the contacts. In the latter case a rub with alcohol doesn't necessarily work, but a very light touch with fine emery paper does.

That seems a little on the drastic side, so has anyone any better ideas? Its an excellent and useful lens and I would have to go for the 18-200 to replace it

fotojack

I would suggest sending the lens to Nikon for replacement of the contact ring,l as this is a great lens. The decision is yours, of course, depending on your budget and the value of the lens to you. I would suggest having it repaired would be the cheaper alternative to replacing it with something similar.

Sambr

Personally I would ditch that lens, I don't have any use for "plastic mounted" lens - the 18-200vr even the 18-70 are metal mounts both far superior glass then the 18-135

crisscross

I would suggest sending the lens to Nikon for replacement of the contact ring,l as this is a great lens. ...

Living out in the sticks I wonder if it is possible to obtain repair parts? I have done things like HD replacement in my MacBook pros & there is a youtube video by ProcameraRepair that looks within my capabilities. Anyone any idea where to get the bits, preferably UK, but otherwise prepared to dispatch to UK?

I think Sam is rather over-damning the optical qualities of the lens (after actual experience?), but don't want to throw too much money at it in case the 1st parts order doesn't solve the problem.

Last edited:

crisscross

OK, I think I can at least partly answer my own question and my experience may help others with plastic mounts.

You get reasonable access by removing the 9 small screws as shown in that video ( How: Replace Rear Bayonet Mount on Nikon AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor f/3.5-5.6G Version I, II, and VR - YouTube ) , but this also releases everything down to the manual focus ring, so care needed to know how it all goes back.

The obvious bank of terminals are connected to a circuit board by a multi-wire tape and there is no way that can fail to conduct.

The less obvious thing is a very small pin projecting a mm from the rear face (and is not present on the metal mount lens I have); the other end of this engages with a sprung tab and is what provides earth continuity between the camera circuits and those within the lens. I opened the tab up a bit and lightly cleaned it and the inner end of the pin with fine emery paper.

It works! Obviously for how long remains to be seen. But really, unless one of the lumps of plastic has been broken by dropping, there is nothing to replace.

If there was A.J Johnstone of Glasgow will supply available Nikon parts for DIY repairs, and are incredibly fast and helpful in their email responses. A. J. Johnstone Camera Repairs based in Glasgow Scotland UK . Photographic engineers glasgow