Color Balance issue?

bimmer050

Hi All,
Attached are two photos taken inside a restaurant at mid-day. The "Coolpix3100" version was taken with automatic settings with Nikon's point-n-shoot from many years ago. The D3100 pic was taken with my "new" D3100 on automatic on the same day, same afternoon.

Note the decidedly orange-red hue in the D3100 photo while the pale yellow walls of the restaurant is more true on the Coolpix version! This color difference is decidedly noticeable in skin tones, and I've had to post-process most of the D3100 shots to tone down the orange-red hue, something I'd like to avoid in the future.

Is there a default setting on the D3100 I need to tweek to tone down the color, and still leave the camera on automatic? My better half uses this camera and is not interested in manual adjustments while taking people shots at events.

Sorry for blotting out the faces, but I don't have permission to post anyone's picture at this time.

Thanks,
Roger

Attachments

• D3100 pic.JPG
    D3100 pic.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Coolpix 3100 pic.JPG
    Coolpix 3100 pic.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 229
Were they both taken at the same time of day? The first one looks like it has daylight coming in the window and the second one does not. It would help if you gave the FxIF data for both pictures.

Also IF I am not mistaken as long as the picture is not for profit and it was taken in a public place you really don't need permission to post them. You see many pictures here on this forum from street scenes to parks with the faces showing. Just don't try to charge us for viewing them.

Eye-level

Banned
It is a white balance issue...would be interesting to see what white balance the coolpix used vs white balance the 3100 picked...

As a general rule I typically use a flash setting for white balance when shooting outside (especially with landscape type shots) because it tends to mimic the nice warm tones provided by golden hour lighting and I use an incandescent white balance setting when shooting indoors...but that is just how I set up my camera and I am very unorthodox on these matters. I never use auto anything...I am in it for the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat and I promise you I get my @ss handed to me regulary by the camera...but every once in a while I nail it... :)

Last edited: