Need Suggestions.

Claudia!

I came across the exhibition of the Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads by Ai WeiWei on display at a local park. They are absolutely breathe taking. At the same time, they are HUGE. I am 5'3. The statues are well over 10 ft high. I still took photos of them to the best of my ability considering the circumstances such as my height and the crowds due to a Japanese Festival that weekend. Overall, I would like suggestions or ideas to capture a great photo. I wanted to focus on the first animal and blur the background. They are aligned in a way that it would look amazing in bokeh. I plan to go back within a few days when its not so busy. I plan to take a stool to help increase my height. I stood on a cement step to get more of an eye level approach but the cement steps where well over 10-15 ft away. Other than that, is there any suggestions anyone may have.

I have a D7000 with the kit lens, 35 mm 1.8g, and the 55-200. I first used my 35 mm 1.8. prime but obviously couldn't zoom. I switched over to my 55-200 because the bokeh has been pretty good on it. I am still trying to learn how to properly get the bokeh effect. In this case, I felt that the size of the statues was a major factor as to why I was unable to get a proper bokeh effect. I added a few pics that I took. I also added two links to the statues. One includes a newscast video about the statues so that you can get a live view of them. The other is the actual website. These statues are only here for a limited time. They will only be in 6 cities in the US. The history behind these statues is pretty amazing. I just really want to get a memorable photo of them. I didn't edit the pics. The last few where on the way back. They are pretty dark but still added them to give ya'll an idea.

The settings for the first 6 pics were at ISO 200, 1/160s, F/5.

The last 3 were at ISO 250, 1/160s, F/5.6. I didn't adjust for the proper lighting in these photos.

Home - Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads

Houston Arts Alliance presents 'Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads' sculptures by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei at Hermann Park | Video | abc13.com

_DSC4712 - Copy.JPG_DSC4713 - Copy.JPG_DSC4715 - Copy.JPG_DSC4716 - Copy.JPG_DSC4718 - Copy.JPG_DSC4720 - Copy.JPG_DSC4736 - Copy.JPG_DSC4751 - Copy.JPG_DSC4754 - Copy.JPG.

Last edited: