Hello there!!

BackdoorArts

(pulling up a stool to the counter...) Hi, everyone! My name is Jake and I'm from northwest New Jersey - the beautiful part of the state that no one ever sees from Newark airport and that most assume is some other state when they're flying over. I am a long time "picture taker" who finally made the serious leap into photography a couple years ago when pointing and clicking wasn't quite enough anymore. The transition was aided by a desire to better participate in my wife's bird watching, and it's funny how the two sides of the same hobby have pushed us forward equipment-wise in a short time. In addition to birds I love all sorts of nature photography and, backing on my background as a musician and music lover, I also do as much concert photography as time and (primarily) access will allow. In addition to music I love hiking, motorcycles and am just getting back into golf again after a 6 year absence (taken after a 20 year obsession). As for what I do, I make my living doing data warehouse design for the Communications industry for a database company. My brother is a professional photojournalist with over 25 years in the field, so it's nice having access to someone who knows what they are doing. He's been shooting digital for almost as long as the medium has existed, so there has been a lot of education by osmosis. Unfortunately he shoots Canon, so there's no borrowing the expensive glass for that weekend trip.

My main body is a D7000, though I also have a D90 I procured as a backup for a trip to Yosemite last year (got it from my mother in-law who was happy to trade what was "too much camera" for her for a really nice point and shooter - love my family). My lenses include the 18-105mm Nikon zoom everyone seems to start with, a Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 (my current out for a walkabout with one only lens grab), and a pair of Sigma zooms that seem to spend a lot of time on bodies, the 150-500mm f/5-6.3 that I use all the time for birding and the 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 which I'm still getting to know. I would love to secure some faster big glass, but it's not in the cards (or wallet) yet. But I'm more than pleased with what I've got already.

And I suppose I might as well explain the handle now. "Backdoor Hippie" is the name of my on again, off again musical project of the last 10 years. It comes from the sign that says "Hippies Use Back Door - No Exceptions" and has served me well since it suffices for one person or a group of them. One more thing, I can get verbose (I also do a fair amount of writing), so my apologies in advance if I make you do more reading than is necessary to get my point across. ;)

If you're interested (this should have been in my signature but for some reason it's not coming across) I'm getting my flickr account in order after using it mainly to share snapshots with family, so excuse me while I get my house in order. http://www.flickr.com/photos/backdoorhippie/

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice shots there Jake. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the camaraderie and your Nikons.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there Jake! What a great introduction!

We're very pleased to have you aboard and you are more than welcome to use the front door over here. :)