File Naming

You can change it on import using view nx2. Not near my computer right now but will try to give you the steps tomorrow if no one has not already told you. My wife and I both shoot nikon so I have it set to use our initials so we keep them separate.

fotojack

That should be in your Shooting Settings menu, under File Naming. Perhaps it tells you where you can do that in your owners manual. :)

TwistedxKnights

After contacting nikon and reading my owners manual I have come to the sad realization that my camera is unable to do it in camera with the factory firmware... Heres to hoping that there will be a hacked firmware available for it someday that will add this feature amoung many others..

now to find a inexpensive nikon camera that has that ability .. :\

Dr Daniels

Like Tracsoft mentioned, you can use the free View NX2 supplied with the camera to change the file name. I find it better than changing it from the camera.

Open View NX2
Clip on the "Primary Destination" tab
Capture1.JPG
Check the box for "rename on transfer" and click on "Edit" to the right
This is the screen you will see.
Capture2.JPG
You can see here how I have mine set up. You can set it any way you want with this. Always better to not try to hack your camera when you have a great tool available. View NX2 is a great free tool that will do many things for you with your photography.

§am

I beleive DSC is short for Digital Still Camera (or Digital Signal COntroller) and is a kind of standard across nearly all digital cameras in use (dSLR & point and shoot etc).