White Balance Custom Setting & Gray Card

hbradshaw

Hello:

How do I create my custom white balance setting using a gray card in the D5100?

Do I set my camera on spot-metering, place the gray card in front of my lens, and press the shutter release? Does this automatically save the setting as a custom setting? And, can I use this custom setting for all photos or do I have to reset every time I have a take a different photo?

Thanks for the help.

pedroj

This is not answering your question....

Cameras are pretty smart these days...I usually put mine in Auto W/B and shoot in raw and if there are problems I fix in processing..

Eye-level

Banned
Yeah but what you say is true...

Bradshaw you need to just study your white balance settings and find out what they do to the snap...you will soon discover a handful of settings that work for you in different situations. Look in your owners manual under the category of custom white balance settings perhaps the information you are looking for is right there...I'm not sure about it all but I'll look into it...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Look it up in your camera instruction manual. It's all there somewhere. As fas as I'm concerned, I shoot raw and fix it in post production.

bluenoser

Banned
Sorry...I had posted an answer to your question shortly after you posted this thread but it "magically" disappeared. :) I'll try again and hope it sticks around this time.
Hello: How do I create my custom white balance setting using a gray card in the D5100? Do I set my camera on spot-metering, place the gray card in front of my lens, and press the shutter release? Does this automatically save the setting as a custom setting?

From pages 84 and 85 of your manual:

View attachment 9783
View attachment 9784
And, can I use this custom setting for all photos or do I have to reset every time I have a take a different photo? Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can use this custom setting for all photos but why you would I'd never know! ;) You'll never want the same WB for every situation however you can keep the current custom setting for as long as you like.

Last edited:

Geoffc

Whilst it can be fixed in post production it is ideal if you lock it down at the time as you get lots of variation with auto WB. This can play havoc with things like a bride's dress.