Some quick snaps of the GTI

Will V|Photography

I was driving down a back road the other day and found a decent sized field. Being around sunset and having my camera with me I pulled over, stood in the middle of the road, and snapped a few off. Only had my 18-55 kit lens on me as I was out trying to shoot something else. Usually I'd be shooting at 200mm (or as close as possible). Anyway, here are my 2 favorites...

Anti-Depressant by FLWill, on Flickr

Decongestant by FLWill, on Flickr

Carolina Photo Guy

I was driving down a back road the other day and found a decent sized field. Being around sunset and having my camera with me I pulled over, stood in the middle of the road, and snapped a few off. Only had my 18-55 kit lens on me as I was out trying to shoot something else. Usually I'd be shooting at 200mm (or as close as possible). Anyway, here are my 2 favorites...

When are ya gonna fix them dents?

:)

Eye-level

Banned
Super Cool sir...I went around a million curves on two wheels in a black 84 GTI back in my high school days (84-88) Was a good buddy's car and we drove the holy terror out of it. We were Fast and Furious about 15 years ahead of time. I had a 70 Dart and we drove the wheels off of it too...my buddy graduated and his folks bought him a brand new Corrado or whatever they were...we drove the crap of it too...I sold the Dart and got a 68 Firebird...and well you know...I love me some cars...especially GTI's...would love to have one now...

Will V|Photography

Thanks guys! Jeff, I'd love me an A1 Rabbit in the garage. This one gets beat on regularly and has seen it's share of lifting wheels on the auto-x course. ;)

When are ya gonna fix them dents?

:)

It gives it character! :D No, I don't know what I'm going to do. I came across a little rust and may just try and find a new shell. We shall see though...

3Ring

A buddy of mine in high school (80-84) and college (84-88) had one and we had some fun in it. Drove it from Austin, TX to Mexico (for the night) many, many times.
Had another college buddy that had a 71ish Baja Bug that was beat when he got it and much more beat when it dies on the side of the road in South Texas.
VWs are great.

-Martin

Eye-level

Banned
The greatest VW ever made that nobody ever heard about and has rarely seen...talk about bad @ss... :)

1990 Corrado.jpg

Will V|Photography

Corrado! They aren't particularly rare but they are AWESOME cars. A few friends of mine own Rados and I would love to put one in my garage as well (I need a bigger garage...). The one you posted is a 4-lug so it would be a G60 model (supercharged 1.8l crossflow 8valve) which were awesome engines with a lot of potential but had problems with the G-Lader supercharger. They also had the SLC model, or Sport Luxury Coupe, which had a 2.8l VR6 (if you know then you know, if not search "VR6" on wikipedia) and 5-lug "Plus" suspension. The SLC also had leather interior and a different hood to accommodate the larger engine.

My friend Will (yeah, there's two of us) owns an SLC with probably close to $50k into it. It's currently down getting an AWD setup from an R32 as well as some forced induction by way of turbocharger. :cool: Lots of TLC (Time/Labor/Cost) went into this thing, most notably the 2-tone Cappucino leather interior, chrome-plated and shaved engine bay housing a built 2.9l stoker VR6, and 1-off carbon-fibre hatch (while still retaining the factory motorized wing). Next time the car sees the streets she'll be a fire-breathing turbocharged AWD monster with new wheels and fresh paint.

IMG_7256.jpg

*not my photo

Carolina Photo Guy

I just noticed the VW emblem seems to be missing in the Decongestant shot. Its clear as a bell in the Anti-Depressant shot.

Do mine eyes deceive me? :confused:

Nice shots BTW!

Will V|Photography

It's there, the sun was going down quickly and it is a smidge underexposed so it looks like a black hole in the smaller version. If you view it in original size (or just larger) you can see it better.

NFA Fabrication

Corrado! They aren't particularly rare but they are AWESOME cars. A few friends of mine own Rados and I would love to put one in my garage as well (I need a bigger garage...). The one you posted is a 4-lug so it would be a G60 model (supercharged 1.8l crossflow 8valve) which were awesome engines with a lot of potential but had problems with the G-Lader supercharger. They also had the SLC model, or Sport Luxury Coupe, which had a 2.8l VR6 (if you know then you know, if not search "VR6" on wikipedia) and 5-lug "Plus" suspension. The SLC also had leather interior and a different hood to accommodate the larger engine.

My friend Will (yeah, there's two of us) owns an SLC with probably close to $50k into it. It's currently down getting an AWD setup from an R32 as well as some forced induction by way of turbocharger. :cool: Lots of TLC (Time/Labor/Cost) went into this thing, most notably the 2-tone Cappucino leather interior, chrome-plated and shaved engine bay housing a built 2.9l stoker VR6, and 1-off carbon-fibre hatch (while still retaining the factory motorized wing). Next time the car sees the streets she'll be a fire-breathing turbocharged AWD monster with new wheels and fresh paint.

IMG_7256.jpg

*not my photo

The G60 was actually a counter flow engine. I work at a VW shop that does a lot of performance stuff, and oddly enough, it is a generally frowned upon vehicle by most performance VW builders (Including myself). I see a lot of younger VW enthusiasts with them as opposed to the more dedicated VW enthusiast. We refer to them as "Donor cars" at the shop. I have a friend that got one cheap, and it has a sticker in the back window that reads: "It'll make a nice GTI one day"...

NFA Fabrication

You have to admit they are pretty bitchin' looking though...LOL :)

I put them in the same category as the Honda Prelude. Cars that were meant to look sporty, that really aren't. I could be years of working on the under pinnings that have soiled my views. They simply took the '85-'92 Golf chassis, and kept adding to it, and adding to it... I have turbo'd them, supercharged them (The VR6), and I can never just wait for them to leave the shop when done. The GTI however, will always have a place in my heart (Pre-93). I have a '91 GTI (But it has a Honda engine in it), Best VW ever!