I need some advice maybe you have the answer...

Eye-level

Banned
OK here is the situation...I recently applied for a US passport along with my wife of 14 years and two kids...well today we got three passports excluding mine...I got a letter...letter says I have been denied a passport because I am in arrears of child support...well I'll tell you this much if I have a kid I DON'T KNOW ABOUT that kid would have to be at least 17 probably older...I don't have any other kids and I have never ever recieved any papers that claimed I was the father of anything...

So...does anyone have any experience with this...the frigging State Department knows someone claimed I owed someone money but all they can do is give me a 50 state list of DHS HHS people...give me a frigging breakl..you denied me but you can't tell me who is on my @ss??? Could that be because you all don't know WTF is going on??? I HATE BUREAUCRACY AND STUPID F!CKING ANTI TERRORISM BS!!!!

Do I have to bribe someone to get a frigging passport clearance??? WTF???

Eye-level

Banned
I know Sam...I am a genealogical hound too...my YDNA profile is online...my family tree going back a couple hundred of years is online...currently there are about 100000 people with my surname in North America and probably about 39 have my same name and of those probably 8 are about the same age...it has to be a mistake or I have another baby somewhere which I seriously seriously doubt...

I will just stay home from my trip to Belize in July rather than deal with an attorney but I would still like to know what the heck is up...guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to try and find out...already talked to Heidi at the State Department she was about as helpful as a box of rocks but at least she gave me the number for the office of legal affairs...I still think I am going to end up calling all 50 states to figure out who the heck is hitting on me...

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. I had to get a Security Clearance certificate back in 1990 for a job I was applying for - gave fingerprints, etc. etc. Well imagine my surprise my when I was informed that I had committed armed burglary in another part of the country to which I had never been! Like you I have a very common name so this must have been the problem. Long story short I arranged for the RCMP to redo the check and much to my relief they admitted that they screwed up and I got the job! :)

Is there an appeal process of sorts?Perhaps an ombudsman or independent redress procedure? I agree with Sam in that a level-headed response is called for with the department you're dealing with. Failing that then seeking out legal council would be called for.

Sorry to hear of that you have to go through this bureaucratic nightmare! Keep us posted.

Phillydog1958

I'd get an attorney. But, you can also see your congressman. That's what they're for, to serve their constituency, especially in complex, legal matters.

BooBoos

Sounds like a situation you may want to clear up. First off how is your wife with this tidbit of information? Here is what I would do. There are companies that do background checks its not expensive 40 or 50.00. I would spend the few dollars and see if anything shows up.I would also engage the services of a attorney. I certainly would not want to miss a vacation.Hope it works out for you.