Is Nikon Insane?

bluenoser

Banned
$600+ for a freakin battery grip for the D800???

I would say the person who actually pays that much for the grip would be my candidate for insanity case of the year! :)

Every time there is an upgrade they usually change the grip and the battery, etc. etc. Pure and simple cash grab. Driven by GREED!

I mean if they're going to change it every time that's bad enough - but cripes can't they at least keep the prices at a reasonable level for these accessories?

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing we tend to forget is that Nikon's first mission is to make money for their shareholders. As much as we'd like them to think of us first, let's not forget their "raison d'être".

Frands

$600+ for a freakin battery grip for the D800

They must have eaten something that ain't helthy at Nikon :confused: . Well, here the price is +/- 432 US$ online. Maybe the taxman has been around there lately.

bluenoser

Banned
One thing we tend to forget is that Nikon's first mission is to make money for their shareholders. As much as we'd like them to think of us first, let's not forget their "raison d'être".

Oh I understand shareholder value very well - being a Maple Leafs fan teaches you about that all too well - charging big bucks for hockey tickets, MLSE stock soars but the team is losing more than ever! :))

However there is a fine line between good business and naked greed. Nikon lenses are more expensive than their Canon counterparts and their accessories are too. If you push people too far they will eventually stop buying your stuff all together. Everyone understands that you want to make a buck but don't abuse your loyal customers (which is what a $600 grip amounts to).

BooBoos

B & H photo in NY has the grip for 449.95 but in limited quantity.I would get one fast. I heard about a writeup from a professional testing lab about the D-800 and basically they gave the camera an excellent writeup. Better buy what you need now. I assume Nikon will raise the price after seeing this review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Photo Guy

$600 plus is a hell of a lot to pay for a grip. How-ever, $3000 bucks for a D800 body strikes me as a hell of a lot of money also.

I bought my D3100 because it was what I wanted. The fact that it was a fantastic bargain was only icing on the cake.

If you don't like the price, carry a couple of extra batteries and deal with it. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just being realistic.

Nikon really doesn't give a damn what we think is too expensive or not. At least, I can't recall the last time ANY manufacturer of ANYTHING

wanted my opinion about what something should be priced. And I'm pretty sure no one else here can either.

Just my 2 cents worth.

len

I've tried a few cameras fitted with battery grips and find them to be awkward and heavy; OK, so I shoot with a D90 so not too heavy batt loaded and 3 fully charged batts in my bag, never had prob with lack of power; I'm also sure the 3rd Party manufacturers will soon get on the band wagon and reduce the cost :)

fotojack

No, I totally agree with bluenoser on this. I'd like to see how they can justify such a rediculous price for a piece of equipment that holds 2 batteries. I'd like to see the breakdown of costs for this grip. This is not a complicated piece of high tech equipment! It's some plastic and some bits of metal designed to bring power to the main camera body.

Pete, I agree with you, too.strangely enough. :) What you say makes total sense, for sure. But I still say it's nothing but greed, and they're counting on the true Nikon aficionados to keep paying through the nose....just because it says Nikon on the label.

And lastly; I couldn't care less about their friggin' shareholders!

Sambr

No, I totally agree with bluenoser on this. I'd like to see how they can justify such a rediculous price for a piece of equipment that holds 2 batteries. I'd like to see the breakdown of costs for this grip. This is not a complicated piece of high tech equipment! It's some plastic and some bits of metal designed to bring power to the main camera body.

Pete, I agree with you, too.strangely enough. :) What you say makes total sense, for sure. But I still say it's nothing but greed, and they're counting on the true Nikon aficionados to keep paying through the nose....just because it says Nikon on the label.

And lastly; I couldn't care less about their friggin' shareholders!

Worse it only holds one battery :(

zx7dave

This is simply Nikon trying to make up revenue on the D800 as they had to price it under where they thought the 5D Mark III would come in.
There will be aftermarket versions within a few months.

BooBoos

Perhaps Nikon is trying to makeup for lost revenues with the damage from the flood. Just like a home insurance company after a bad winter. They payout lots then pass the loss on to the consumer because they can.

Photowyzard

Oh I understand shareholder value very well - being a Maple Leafs fan teaches you about that all too well - charging big bucks for hockey tickets, MLSE stock soars but the team is losing more than ever! :))

SERIOUSLY?

James,

You are not embarrassed to admit being a Maple Leaf fan? You like Maple STINK RINK hockey?

You realize the drought will go over half a CENTURY soon enough, with no hope of even smelling the Champagne the other team is drinking!

This is a disgrace and this organization deserves no fans.

:glee:

In regards to the $600, there will be cheaper grips on the market from 3rd party vendors at more than half the price that will do the same job. Nothing inspires a company to rethink their pricing more than piles and piles of inventory going no where.

$600 for a battery grip? Not from my wallet.

Wow! And I thought the D7000's grip was overpriced. But, we can't expect a $3000 camera to have a $250 grip. Imagine the markup . . .

Here is exactly what I mean..... D7000 3rd Party Grip..... $43.99 NEW

Battery Grip with Holder for Nikon D7000 Camera | Overstock.com

6 reviews, all positive