New to the D3100, looking for some feedback

VTJäger

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the DLSR world and just got a D3100 a week or two ago. I've read the manual, and I have been lurking around here just reading the tips and posts that I thought might be helpful. I'm still learning about ISO, F/stop and aperture and how they all interconnect, etc.

That being said, I went to the National Cherry Blossom festival this past weekend and took some pictures. Some are good, others not so much but I've found that some images look a little "washed out" I fixed this in Light room 4 but would like to know how to get the camera to take pictures like that instead of having to compensate in Light room. I have a before and after shot of one picture. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? or am I expecting too much?

beforeandafter.jpg

Here is the EXIF data for the original which was output as NEF:

EXIF.jpg

SteveH

Hi,
I'm new to the D3100 also, but one thing to check could be the Active-D lighting... I've read it can washout colours a little. Try taking the same picture with it on, and then with it off to see what difference you get - I think the difference would be quite noticeable with close up pictures such as your example.

VTJäger

Yea, I turned it off for all of these pictures, I might take to see if it helps turned on. It was one of the first things I turned off as soon as I unboxed it.

Obir

Hello,
You may just need to increase your shutter speed just a tad, or dial negative exposure compensation.
The first shot just looks a little overexposed to me (just my opinion:)).
Also, you may want to explore the Picture Controls settings and adjust them until you get them just right for your shooting preferences.
Hope this helps:)

Last edited:

VTJäger

Awesome, thank you for the tips! I'll have to take a look into those, I agree it does look overexposed and since this was a cloudy/rainy day, I was confused as to why it was as such.

Mike150

Hey VT. (Sounds like you might be a Va. Techie). I'm near Charlottesville Va.
Won't be much help to you because I'm still trying to learn the camera I have. Anyway. Welcome and you'll find a LOT of really smart people in here.

Rick M

If you are shooting in raw, you will almost always have to do PP to punch up the color and appeal of the image. If you switch to jpeg fine, you can work with the picture control modes in the camera to increase color, vibrance, sharpness, ect. The downside is you are then stuck with a compressed smaller file with less ability to manipulate in PP. If I am just taking "snapshots", I'll go with jpeg, if I'm looking to enlarge and display, raw is the way to go.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are shooting in raw, you will almost always have to do PP to punch up the color and appeal of the image. If you switch to jpeg fine, you can work with the picture control modes in the camera to increase color, vibrance, sharpness, ect. The downside is you are then stuck with a compressed smaller file with less ability to manipulate in PP. If I am just taking "snapshots", I'll go with jpeg, if I'm looking to enlarge and display, raw is the way to go.

I second that Rick. For nice prints, Raw Rules. :snowman:

VTJäger

Thanks guys! I'll have to shoot in jpeg and see if I can get the results I want. I'd rather have a better print and have to manipulate it than one of poorer quality but less manipulation so Raw sounds like it may be my better bet then just go in and touch up the color, etc

Will V|Photography

That's the whole thing with RAW, it's a flat unprocessed image that needs to be worked to get it how you want. When shooting JPEG the camera does it's own auto-editing and gives you a processed image straight OOC. The tradeoff is that you have less manipulative ability with a JPEG image, so most prefer to shoot RAW and take the time to perfect the image. Good luck!

fotojack

Not sure about your particular model, but....in your menu settings, see if there's a way to change the White Balance settings, such as.....if it's a Cloudy, Overcast, Sunny, Bright, etc. day. That would help with your contrast issue, too.

And welcome to Nikonites. :)

Thanks guys! I'll have to shoot in jpeg and see if I can get the results I want. I'd rather have a better print and have to manipulate it than one of poorer quality but less manipulation so Raw sounds like it may be my better bet then just go in and touch up the color, etc
Hi VT,

It's safe to shoot with RAW and manipulate your pictures later. But you can also shoot with jpeg and have great result, if you understand about "red and yellow channel blown out" in digital image world. It's a known issue for digital but not for film images.

To do so, when taking red, orange, or yellow flowers; try to set camera this way:

1/ Push back WB under 5000K for sunlight source. I use to choose at 4400-4700K for outdoor red or yellow flower photos on sunny days.
2/ Negative EV compensations as Obir said. Then watch out for the red channel in Histogram to see if it is still over-exposured.
3/ Set picture control to Normal or Standard option, instead of Vivid option.

Hope this helps.

Tu.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't have the D3100 but isn't there the option to shoot and have both raw and jpegs? This would be your best bet for the time being while you study your taste and try to match the camera settings to what you like. The raw files could be either your masters or your backups in case your settings don't turn out good.

Rick M

I don't have the D3100 but isn't there the option to shoot and have both raw and jpegs? This would be your best bet for the time being while you study your taste and try to match the camera settings to what you like. The raw files could be either your masters or your backups in case your settings don't turn out good.

Yes, it does have that option, excellent suggestion Marcel!

Mjaydakid

My 2 cents.
My SO and I was at the lake. It was not a particularly nice day; harsh sun, offensive glare off the water, no color in the vegetation... As I pointed my camera at the lake, my SO said I shouldn't waste my time. There is no shot here. I bet her I could deliver a picture she would be happy to purchase. LSS: I won. (She even denies that its the same lake.)

Columbus Lake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Three things I learned. Good pictures are not made in the camera; They are made in PP. Don't always trust your eyes. The camera (raw) sees more than you can. and if you win a wager, don't gloat. Cold suppers, beds and stares are what you actually win.