Looking for tutorials

Stangman98

On how to use my SB700 in manual mode and determine the strength that I need. It seems to me that I set it and 1/8 and it's not strong enough, go up one more full step and it's too much. I can never seem to find a happy medium :ambivalence:

Claudia!

I am in the same position. I have read both manuals (d7000 and sb700) but still find it hard to learn how to properly set it. Hopefully someone here can come to the rescue.

fotojack

On how to use my SB700 in manual mode and determine the strength that I need. It seems to me that I set it and 1/8 and it's not strong enough, go up one more full step and it's too much. I can never seem to find a happy medium :ambivalence:

Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.

This should give you a good start on how to use a flash, Damon. On the right hand side of your flash there are settings for the width of the flash. Play with those settings to give you the coverage you need. Also, if you find the power too much...as in full power...use the diffuser, or an add on soft box diffuser for speedlights. It really helps to "control" the intensity and softness of the light. Check out the link I gave you, though. I think you'll find it very useful. :)

Stangman98

Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.

This should give you a good start on how to use a flash, Damon. On the right hand side of your flash there are settings for the width of the flash. Play with those settings to give you the coverage you need. Also, if you find the power too much...as in full power...use the diffuser, or an add on soft box diffuser for speedlights. It really helps to "control" the intensity and softness of the light. Check out the link I gave you, though. I think you'll find it very useful. :)

I will check that out. My issue always is shooting at night at the race track.

fotojack

Are you shooting stationary vehicles or moving vehicles? Stationary, I would use half power and possibly the diffuser. Moving, I would use full power and no diffuser, and of course a fast shutter speed, depending on what lens you're using.

fotojack

OK, is that a 2.8 lens? If not, you won't have much success shooting fast anything with your lens. It focuses too slow, unless there's a lot of light around. The flash will help, but unless you can focus real fast, it's not going to help much.