best 70-300

bluenoser

Banned
In my opinion it's a very close contest between the Nikon and the Tamron with the edge going to the Nikon (full disclosure: I own the Nikon 70-300VR).

Both are excellent choices.

EDIT: I missed where you said "non-VR". Like Mike said below - definitely go the VR route as the VR versions are just significantly better - well worth the extra money.

Last edited:

Mike150

Whatever you decide, I think with that much reach, you will be happier with a VR lens. Personally I'm saving my nickels and dimes for the Nikon 70-300 VR lens.

Isidro

I own Nikon 70-300 G, Tamron 70-300, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 70-300 VR and Tamron 70-200 f/2,8.
In my opinion best buy is the 55-200VR, if you have a tiny budget. Sharp, light and compact. An all for less than 200 Euros
If you can spend more, I would recommend Tamron 70-200 f/2,8. Not very good at f/2,8 but spectacular at f/4, much sharper than Nikon 70-300 VR. Its focusing speed is OK for me.
Good luck.

Bukitimah

I have tried the tamron 70-300 non VR but found it difficult at 200 and above. I owned the nikon 70-300 VR and definitely it is much better.

However at f4.5-5.6 it is challenging at low light. If you are shooting at low light, the 70-200 f2.8 would be a better choice in my opinion. To save cost, tamron version is slightly more than the nikon 70-300 VR. Even if you need the extra length, you could add a tele extension.

This is an option I am considering but I am in no hurry. Frankly, I hardy use the 70-300 unless I am shooting wild life. Most times, 70-100 mm range suffice.

Bukitimah

Still holding to my faithful 70-300 VR lens. A shot I took using the lens recently at Bali. This gentleman is also shooting. It is the Kecak dance.

Uluwatu-07.jpg

Uluwatu-11.jpg

Stangman98

I love the Nikon 70-300 VR lens that I have. I think the photos are sharper than those I took with a rented 70-200 2.8 VRI Nikon. I also once in a while when I have patience use my Tokina 100-300 manual focus lens. That thing is really sharp too.

westmill

Banned
The 55-200 gives a surprisingly excelent performane right through the whole range.
The focus is rather slow apparently, but unless your shooting fast moving sports I wouldnt worry.
This is the one I would opt for with a low budget.
mmmmmm Except I wouldnt lol.... i would find a used 70-210 4-5.6 D. Plenty around at around £140
Its a superb lens. Just make sure its a D lens. The D version focusses twice as fast and the D designates
the use of flash distance info. :D