Auto focus issues

Tewy

Hi

My month old D5100 has seemingly stopped autofocusing. If I have auto selected on my camera and lense nothing auto focuses. Could I have accidentally selected an option that disables this function? Any help much appreciated. I am unsure as this is my first DSLR. I am on holiday and have yet to find a camera shop that may help me. Any help much appreciated a I am worried there is a fault. Thanks in advance.

Also. It's the supplied 18-55mm lense I'm using that was in VR kit. Also not getting any error codes.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there. My first instinct would be that you accidentally moved the A/M switch on the lens to M instead of A (which changes the lens' behaviour from auto focus to manual focus). Check that out first - the switch should be on A.

Here is the side of your 18-55VR where the switch is located:
View attachment 9485View attachment 9484

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi

My month old D5100 has seemingly stopped autofocusing. If I have auto selected on my camera and lense nothing auto focuses. Could I have accidentally selected an option that disables this function? Any help much appreciated. I am unsure as this is my first DSLR. I am on holiday and have yet to find a camera shop that may help me. Any help much appreciated a I am worried there is a fault. Thanks in advance.

Also. It's the supplied 18-55mm lense I'm using that was in VR kit. Also not getting any error codes.

There might be a switch on your lens that lets you select M/A or M only focus. Did you check that?

bluenoser

Banned
So I'm assuming that the camera will function (ie. focus and take pictures in manual mode?)

If so, why not reset the settings in either the custom setting menu or in the setup menu. If you have accidentally selected an option that disabled things then this should address it.

Only thing that comes to mind is removing the lens and re-attaching.
Perhaps you have a dirty contact.

Yes, a definite possibility. Take a clean cloth an wipe the contacts and then reattach the lens to the body.

Obir

If a reset to default settings did not solve the problem, I'd suggest taking the lens and trying it on a different body (maybe someone you know also has a Nikon dslr) and see if it comes back to life. Your lens might have a dead focusing motor. Hopefully the store from which you bought it from can just exchange it if that's the case.

Tewy

Ok. After a further attempts at resetting it seems to have cleared the issue. Not sure how/why. Thanks for all suggestions. Will have to monitor this in case it happens again. Thanks everyone.

Zemrick Calgas

Helo Professionals! I need some help with my auto focus also. I got my 1st dslr and its 2 days old yet. It nikon d3100.

here is my problem with auto focus.
I was shooting people on dark with very lowlight. But my camera wont allow me to click to capture a photo. I need to set the lens to manual mode to capture which is very difficult since i could't see the people as my subject clearly if they are in focus. Any tips or help please?

fotojack

Have you tried reading your owners manual? The answer is in there. :) Also...you don't tell us what lens you are using. That would help us in determining the problem. Also....shooting in the dark or at night, you need a flash mounted on your camera, like the Nikon SB-700.

Carolina Photo Guy

Helo Professionals! I need some help with my auto focus also. I got my 1st dslr and its 2 days old yet. It nikon d3100.

here is my problem with auto focus.
I was shooting people on dark with very lowlight. But my camera wont allow me to click to capture a photo. I need to set the lens to manual mode to capture which is very difficult since i could't see the people as my subject clearly if they are in focus. Any tips or help please?

This needs to be moved to the D3100 thread.
Just a thought.