Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G VRII

DW_

Here's an example of the Nikkor 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G VRII. I purchased this lens just a few weeks ago and really starting to like it. Despite the comments I've read on line, the AF is fairly fast and very accurate. It was more than capable of tracking this moving hawk.

D7k; ISO 800; f/9 @ 1/320 sec

20120324-_1DW6761-2.jpg

Rick M

This is a great lens for the price, although I don't use it much. It will be interesting to see how it does with your D800 and that high level of resolution. I'm surprised you didn't go for the 70-200 vr 2.8 to complete the triad.

DW_

This is a great lens for the price, although I don't use it much. It will be interesting to see how it does with your D800 and that high level of resolution. I'm surprised you didn't go for the 70-200 vr 2.8 to complete the triad.

You know, I went and looked at a 1 yr old 70-200mm VRII last Thursday. The woman wanted $2k for it and it was in immaculate condition. I ponder it that afternoon and although an "okay" deal, I decided at that price I couldn't do it. Yes, it was a wonderful lens and built like a tank and if I didn't already have this 70-300mm, I think I would have jumped on it. I kept thinking about the reason the woman was selling hers. She said she found she was not using it nearly as much as she thought she would. That seemed to resonate with me. Typically when I'm using a large zoom I'm busting thru bushes and climbing up hills and the last thing I would want is to worry about this super expensive lens dangling around my neck not to mention the extra weight it would place on me. So I decided instead of buying it, I'd put this 70-300mm thru the ringer and if/when it stops making me happy I'll replace it with the better lens.

Rick M

Good logic, I think I use my 70-300 in maybe 5% of my shots tops. 2k is allot to have gathering dust. Although without the Dx crop factor, I may use it alittle more, but still not that much.

Debrus

Love the picture and I am getting ready to purchase the 70-300 VRII lens myself. I find the 55-200 isn't enough for the nature photos I like to take. Great photo!

If you know someone with the Nikkor 70-300 VRII that is like new I am interested in buying one soon. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

westmill

Banned
I have an 80-200 2.8... Its big and its heavy... It has one use only. I use when covering the horsracing.
For all other work I use one of my fave zoom.... The 70-210 4 - 5.6 D.
Its an old, but like new lens. Fast focus, good optical quality and amazing build quality etc.
I didnt buy it for any of those things though. Although it helped lol.
I bought more for its fantastic buttery smooth Bokeh ! I love it. It might not produce the most detailed prints
as a few of these new lenses, but I would not swap it for any of them.
it just produces beautiful pics time after time. Best of all, you can pic them up for around £130.