money to burn . . .

miknoypinoy

hey all. so I've been working a grip of OT and have some money to burn. to start off, I have a d700, 24-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8, and a 50 1.4. debating whether or not to sell the 80-200 2.8 to offset the cost of the highly coveted 70-200 2.8 vrII. OR to just keep the 80-200 2.8 (it's a very good lens minus the vr) and get me a nice 85 1.4g or d. I like to shoot all sorts of stuff. no real subject matter that I prefer most. just want a good option of lenses to have. from a previous thread I started I was convinced to not go super wide since I already have a 24-70 and was making the change over to FX from DX. just want to know what YOU would do. I know the decision is up to me in the end. thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
.... just want to know what YOU would do.....

I'd sell the 80-200 and buy the 70-200 2.8 VRII. It's my favourite lens and I'd hate to be without it. :)

I have the D700 along with my 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 - I'm like a kid in a candy store! I have my 85 1.4D when I want to enjoy the best bokeh in town. I have a wickedly sharp 60 2.8G for macro too.

Your "problem" of choosing between the 70-200 and the 85 1.4G is a very nice one to have! Good luck.

miknoypinoy

Your "problem" of choosing between the 70-200 and the 85 1.4G is a very nice one to have! Good luck.[/QUOTE said:
lol. thanks James. I was gearing towards your suggestion before I made this thread. was also hoping someone would say" keep the 80-200 , it's a very good lens", then I could get my cream machine. lol. i know it's a hard choice ,as I can't get both right now. thanks for vote of luck. I'll sleep on it.

bluenoser

Banned
lol. thanks James. I was gearing towards your suggestion before I made this thread. was also hoping someone would say" keep the 80-200 , it's a very good lens", then I could get my cream machine. lol. i know it's a hard choice ,as I can't get both right now. thanks for vote of luck. I'll sleep on it.

Oh I think you're going to get a lot of people suggesting that you keep the 80-200 as it is a great lens in its own right. The nice thing is that either way you'll be getting an amazing new lens!!! :)

Well it's 1:30am in Toronto and I have to be up at 6:15am so I better get some rest to before I start thinking of buying another expensive lens! LOL!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Oh I think you're going to get a lot of people suggesting that you keep the 80-200 as it is a great lens in its own right. The nice thing is that either way you'll be getting an amazing new lens!!! :)

Well it's 1:30am in Toronto and I have to be up at 6:15am so I better get some rest to before I start thinking of buying another expensive lens! LOL!

Well, not from me. I upgraded my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI to VRII and the difference on FX is huge. It might not be as much if you were using a DX since you'll be using the center most part of the lens.

If you want an 85mm, you now have a cheaper alternative which is the new Nikon 85mm f1.8G but if your tax return came in with extra, get both. It is not a matter of which lens to get but it is more on which one to get first. 70-200mm f2.8 VRII is what I would personally choose first.

DW_

Nope, I'm not going to suggest that either. I think the obvious answer is 70-200mm. I'm looking at one this afternoon that is for all purposes brand new with 4 yrs left on the warranty. Seller is looking for $2k but I would feel much better at $1.8k, so let the dance begin!

miknoypinoy

ah. decisions decisions. thanks all for the input. on the way to the lcs right now. still not knowing what to get yet. yes both are on my wish list and it IS a matter of what to get first lol. I'll keep you all in suspense. lol.

miknoypinoy

well. just joined the 70-200 club. my camera feels heavier but my wallet feels a lot lighter lol. just took some shots here at home. amazing lens. can't wait to take it out this weekend. a las gotta sleep for work. more overtime tomorrow to help replenish the bank account. lol thanks again all for the input.

bluenoser

Banned
Congrats Mike! Great decision. It's an amazing lens! Looks like we're D700/70-200 "brothers" A great combo!! Looking forward to seeing some pics (even of your pet snakes ;)) with this set-up.