D4 sample shots

Eye-level

Banned
They look like stuff out of any of our cameras..I don't see the multi thousand dollar difference or improvement over a D300...big deal...the power of digital... :)

Iman60

I couldnt agree more eye-level. These people that rush breathlessly down the street to buy the latest camera... I am sure that have a very small ...we know what!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
They look like stuff out of any of our cameras..I don't see the multi thousand dollar difference or improvement over a D300...big deal...the power of digital... :)

Did you look at the full size image? I found them quite sharp compared to my files...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Did you look at the full size image? I found them quite sharp compared to my files...

I actually did. Her eyes lashes were just spot on. He must have used a 600mm f4 + 1.4 TC on one of them since the exif file says 840mm. Unless he used it in DX mode. I was quite impressed with the dynamic range.

Eye-level

Banned

I didn't need to open them I know they are of the highest quality. My point is for most folks, on most computer monitors, with most cameras, just about any old digital camera is going to be more than sufficient. I just don't think the improvement justifies the cost but then again I'm not shooting weddings every weekend and getting paid 5 grand a pop either and if I did a D700 and a D300 would likely work just fine...

I can't believe Nikon users are becoming like Canon people about megapixels...I mean really is a Canon 7D at 18 MP a better camera than a D300s at 12 MP? Is there that much of a difference other than the price?

Remember there hasn't been a camera made yet that will outresolve a daguerreotype!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I didn't need to open them I know they are of the highest quality. My point is for most folks, on most computer monitors, with most cameras, just about any old digital camera is going to be more than sufficient. I just don't think the improvement justifies the cost but then again I'm not shooting weddings every weekend and getting paid 5 grand a pop either and if I did a D700 and a D300 would likely work just fine...

I can't believe Nikon users are becoming like Canon people about megapixels...I mean really is a Canon 7D at 18 MP a better camera than a D300s at 12 MP? Is there that much of a difference other than the price?

Remember there hasn't been a camera made yet that will outresolve a daguerreotype!

I think it is pointless to argue whether a photographer needs the extra resolution or not since it is not just about resolution. A lot of factors appeals to different photographers. If photographer A is satisfied with D5100 or D300, then that is fine. There is no reason to judge other people if they want the latest and greatest. As far as I know there is no such limitation to what we can own, correct?

I know this is already out of topic, but some people spend a lot of money with their hobby whether it is golf, guns, fishing equipment, cars, motorcycles, etc. My wife for example spends a lot of money with her bags and shoes. It is no different if I buy a different lens. It is their money and it is their choice on how they want to spend it. Some photographers do sell large prints and the higher resolution does meet their needs. For most of us here, a 12mp camera will be sufficient.

I like to shoot and shoot. Cameras and guns. New lens or new gun. Everyone has things they like and enjoy. You can get a shotgun that costs $500 or the same gauge that costs $30,000. they both do the job so which is better. Have fun and buy what you enjoy and can afford.

pedroj

As this is off topic I'll put in 2 bobs worth..I Think the photos are great and I think the photographer would have taken some great images with a D3, and D3s..Put the images together without the exif and there wouldn't be many people that could put the right images with the right cameras...

I would bet that most people would not be able to tell the difference between photos from a D3100 and a D3. Before I get crucified notice I said PEOPLE and Not PHOTOGRAPHERS. I think the most important element in photography is and always will be the person holding the camera and not the camera.
At one time I owned two camera stores / Photo Labs and we would have people coming in with photos from their decent little P&S camera that would be absolutely wonderful. We also had other people coming in that had the latest and greatest equipment on the market and I would never see anything but snapshots no matter how hard they tried.
Do I think good equipment is worth it? Most certainty. Buy the best camera you can afford and the best glass to go on it BUT read about photography, study about photography and most certainly listen to other photographers that you respect and try to not get your feelings hurt when they don't like your photo. When I started photography 35 years ago I would be upset when i went out shooting and would shoot 2 or 3 36 exposure rolls of film and come back and process them and print contact sheets and would sometimes not get but maybe 1 shot that I thought was worth printing. My mentor told me that if Ii got that many then I was doing pretty good. National Geographic Photographers may shoot 10,000 shots just for the 10 that get published.
IT is a lot easier today with digital, shoot as many GBs as you have with you, upload them and week them out in a hurry and post process the ones that catch your eye. Nothing but time spent and no money at this point. Have fun and enjoy it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Guys, take a break and relax for a while. We've read all about this between the photographer and the camera. We are starting to sound like this thread below. This should give a good laugh and is a reality on what is happening on forums.

If cameras, were the subjects, and are replaced with hammers, this is how we would sound like from a carpenter's point of view. :victorious:

LensRentals.com - Hammerforum.com

DaveKoontz

Sorry folks, I thought I was on the "Nikonian" site when I was following this thread. Actually shocked with the initial negativity. Love a great critique, but not criticism!