14-24mm F/2.8G

DW_

I did it.....Simply an amazing lens. Putting her on my D7k (800 not here yet, maybe Friday?) and was astounded. Looking thru the viewfinder only seems like I suddenly have a different camera. I think I'll give her a spin tonight with some night photos.

Rick M

You're killing me Dave! D800, the best lenses, I'm beginning to hear those little voices telling me that you only live once :)

DW_

BTW, Where did you get it from?

I purchased it from Nelson Photo here in SD. It's a sweet lens, lemme tell ya. In the hand it feels like no other lens I've ever owned. Yes, it's a bit heavy and not something you would take to a family reunion but the heaviness belies the craftsmanship that went into this lens. A real sweetheart.
Next on the agenda is the 24-70mm and then I'm done. Strange that the "light leak" issue has been known for over 2 yrs now and has still not been addressed. I'm not so worried that the leak will mess up any of my images but what has me most concerned is that some lenses have it while others do not. If all the copies had it I wouldn't be so bothered by it but the fact that it's hit and miss really bothers me.

Rick M

I haven't heard of that issue (although I have not researched the lens). Can you test for it? My concern would be that if light can get in, so can dust!

DW_

I haven't heard of that issue (although I have not researched the lens). Can you test for it? My concern would be that if light can get in, so can dust!

Well, it's coming thru the range window on the top of the lens, so there's no worry that dust will get in but certainly light can. Granted, it's a very specific set of circumstances to have to be met before it fails but the fact that only some lenses do while others don't really concerns me.
Here's a video showing the leak in action (see HERE).

bluenoser

Banned
"Real" world test?

View attachment 9286
Time to get on my soap box:
soapbox.gif

The guy in that video is the poster child for people that claim to be photographers but really just spend their time indoors looking for "problems" under the most unrealistic set of circumstances imaginable.

He takes his 24-70, PUTS THE LENS CAP ON, then he presses up his cell phone directly against the lens window blasting the streaming light from his cell phone camera directly into it, shoots at ISO 4000 with a ten second shutter speed.
actions1.gif

His next test he holds up the camera lens window directly against a GIANT softbox with a massive blast from a strobe pouring through.
actions1.gif

I mean GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK WILL YA??? WHAT A COMPLETE LOAD OF BS. :livid: I'm sure if he flew to the sun and took some pictures of the solar flares he just *might* get some light leak as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point is that there is no problem - the only issue is that this idiot in the video needs to get out of mommy and daddy's basement and interact with real people once in while.

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Granted, it's a very specific set of circumstances to have to be met.....

That might be the understatement of the year :)

That's interesting! I'm sure you'll test it right away. No way I would spend that much and have to put tape on it!

Nope...not interesting in the least (well perhaps the guy in the video is interesting in train wreck sort of way). No need to put tape on anything. Buy with confidence.

Stop holding back James! tell us how you really feel:).

As you can tell Rick, I hate people that just have way too much time on their hands and starting dreaming up this crap. I mean really? Can you imagine how many tests, and run-throughs and trials this turkey must have gone through before finding this "holy grail" of light leak?

The guy needs his head examined. He clearly does not enjoy photography and he's a waste of space as far as I'm concerned.

Sambr

Re: "Real" world test?

View attachment 9286
Time to get on my soap box:
soapbox.gif

The guy in that video is the poster child for people that claim to be photographers but really just spend their time indoors looking for "problems" under the most unrealistic set of circumstances imaginable.

He takes his 24-70, PUTS THE LENS CAP ON, then he presses up his cell phone directly against the lens window blasting the streaming light from his cell phone camera directly into it, shoots at ISO 4000 with a ten second shutter speed.
actions1.gif

His next test he holds up the camera lens window directly against a GIANT softbox with a massive blast from a strobe pouring through.
actions1.gif

I mean GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK WILL YA??? WHAT A COMPLETE LOAD OF BS. :livid: I'm sure if he flew to the sun and took some pictures of the solar flares he just *might* get some light leak as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The point is that there is no problem - the only issue is that this idiot in the video needs to get out of mommy and daddy's basement and interact with real people once in while.

James I agree 100% - I have had this lens for 3 years - shot in all kinds of conditions -not one of my images was ruined due to "light leakage" what a bunch of horse manure( putting it mildly)

DW_

I agree with everything written so far. It's clearly it's a contrived "problem" and not something that will interfer with its performance but what I want to know is why some do and others don't. There's an article on the net that states the issue stems from rough handling and/or a lens that has been acclimated properly when moving between extremes and a weather seal has eroded. However, some of the lenses tested are brand new, which doesn’t seem to jive with this explanation. Again, if all 24-70’s showed this propensity that would be one thing but the fact that some do and some don’t is what makes me wonder.