What kind of lenses??

esh1692

Ok so here is the picture... What kind of lenses do you think they are... AF or AF-s

All I know is they are 300mm and 85mm...

01_237291_483784.jpg

esh1692

I have a D3100 camera body... Obviously they will not work on it but do you think it is still worth buying these to have even if i have to manual focus?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a D3100 camera body... Obviously they will not work on it but do you think it is still worth buying these to have even if i have to manual focus?

Depends on the price and how many shots you don't mind being out of focus. Manual focusing with digital cameras is not that easy. Specially with smaller aperture lenses like these.

Only you can decide. If you plan on upgrading to a D90 then it would be a different story cause they would work with that.

Bukitimah

I just want to add my experience for your consideration. I bought a AF previously for my D5000. I was thinking it is ok if I need to manually focus since I have been doing that during the film days.

Alas, with age catching up, I regretted. So, manual focus is out for me and anything above 50 mm, I would need VR.

esh1692

What camera bodies would they work on? I've been thinking about getting a as my upgrade D7000, But that does not have an internal focus motor right??

ZekeMenuar

I have a D3100 and the 50mm f1.8 AF lens. It's not difficult to manual focus the D3100. I've got some pretty good pictures with the lens.
That being said, that lens hasn't seen daylight for months. I prefer to use my lenses that auto-focus.

I won't tell you to buy these lenses or not.

I will tell you I just bought a refurb Nikon AF-S 55-300mm VR lens for $269. I think that lens you be more useful on a D3100 than the manual focus lenses.

esh1692

The guy has not called back yet... But I don't know if I'm going to save my money and put it towards a Af-s lens... Zeke, have you thought about buying a afs version of the 50 mm f.1.8? It is where my heart lies... by far my favorite lens... Just took some photos today for a friend after her baby was born... thought id share
DSC_0185.jpg

ZekeMenuar

The 50mm f1.8 AF-S wasn't out when I bought the 50mm AF. The 35mm f1.8 AF-S wasn't out either.
Once in a while I drag it out to blow the dust off of it.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What camera bodies would they work on? I've been thinking about getting a as my upgrade D7000, But that does not have an internal focus motor right??

Yes, the D7000 has the internal focusing motor. And so does the D90, D300, 300s, 200 and many older models down to the D70. Remember that before AFS lenses, the others were all or most of them were AF and needed the focusing motor in camera.

Eye-level

Banned
The photo gods must be looking out for you...go price that 300 alone and come back and tell me what you think... :)

If you decide to pass please share that phone number!

MF isn't beyond the reach of mere mortals I promise you...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The photo gods must be looking out for you...go price that 300 alone and come back and tell me what you think... :)

If you decide to pass please share that phone number!

MF isn't beyond the reach of mere mortals I promise you...

Jeff, from the photo of the lenses, I suspect they are 28-80 3.5-80 and 70-300. Both would be G consumer lenses that were popular with the entry film Nikons. I kind of recognized the 28-80 cause I have one. I got mine for $ 50 so the 250 asking price might not be such a bargain after all.