Abigail

DW_

My Granddaughter Abigail at the park. She's a fun kid, started talking in near complete sentences at 14 months (takes after my daughter) and on this day she spent the afternoon with me. In this photo she is 25 months old. I wanted to capture her young spirit and the sense of adventure when everywhere you go it's something new.

D7k; Nikkor 105mm Macro F/2.8D; ISO 100; f/4 @ 1/250 sec

20120131-1DW_0798-sm.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
Brilliant use of a framing device...the short telephoto lens renders faces like no other...plus a pretty little girl helps a lot too.. :)

Very good sir...

bluenoser

Banned
Really excellent work Dave! I would definitely be printing this one up and hanging in on a wall somewhere! You really nailed the most important part of this portrait - her lovely eyes. So very sharp, clear and detailed - just magical looking. The framing is also quite wonderful - you really did a bang up job.

A niggle I will add (and I have the same thing happen with my young children) is the little crusties in her nostril are a bit noticeable. However being a child that is certainly no sin! LOL!
  • I would probably even out the colour of the red border and add a bit of saturation to the more washed out areas (i.e. on the left - as you look at the image)
  • I probably would have chose a slightly smaller aperture than f/4 to get a bit more depth of field in the face however with f/4 the eyes really jump out (selectively sharpened too?)
  • Lastly, perhaps a bit more cropping of the left side of the image - maybe...not sure?
Anyway, just love this one Dave!

DW_

Really excellent work Dave! I would definitely be printing this one up and hanging in on a wall somewhere! You really nailed the most important part of this portrait - her lovely eyes. So very sharp, clear and detailed - just magical looking. The framing is also quite wonderful - you really did a bang up job.

A niggle I will add (and I have the same thing happen with my young children) is the little crusties in her nostril are a bit noticeable. However being a child that is certainly no sin! LOL!
  • I would probably even out the colour of the red border and add a bit of saturation to the more washed out areas (i.e. on the left - as you look at the image)
  • I probably would have chose a slightly smaller aperture than f/4 to get a bit more depth of field in the face however with f/4 the eyes really jump out (selectively sharpened too?)
  • Lastly, perhaps a bit more cropping of the left side of the image - maybe...not sure?
Anyway, just love this one Dave!

Ha ha, you're spot on with the crusties. I haven't done much at all to this photo other than convert it from NEF/DNG to JPG but the first thing I would want to do is clean that schnoz out a bit. I'm going to play around with it here in the near future and will repost when I'm finished with it. Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.