Getting stationed in Germany

jazman444

Well I've been in the military for almost a year now and finally bout to go to my first duty station, which happens to be Landstuhl, Germany. I cant wait to get there and travel, and take a crap ton of pictures.

I will be buying a peddle bike when I get over there to get around easier. I would bring my own car but insurance is $800 a month...so that is out of the picture.

So what I am asking for is some places that you would suggest I go see while over there.

Thanks
Justin

Mike150

It has been an extreemly long time since I was in Germany (1971), but Cities like Berlin, Frankfurt, Luxemburg, Munich (during octoberfest) are all very historic places.

Locate the Train Station. Germany has always had a very efficient rail system. That will give you the reach for places like Paris, Zurich or Geneva. Even from a moving train, the photo oportunites are endless.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Congrats. I hope that is the place that you wanted. Take lots of pictures (but not crappy ones) and don't forget to share them here.

DW_

Good luck and be safe! And I want to personally thank you for your service to our country. It's an honorable thing that you are doing and we thank you for it.

I've never been to Germany so I can't tell you first hand but I've always wanted to see the Black Forest (love the cake!) and that castle way up on a pointy mountain seems to be very photogenic.

Rick M

Congratulations, Germany is a great spot for photography. My brother was stationed there and stayed for 30 years. He made it to Major and retired there, now working for NATO. Enjoy!

I think I would hit all the WWII spots and the Alps first.

bnkrupt

Germany has a lot to offer. You are actually coming over at the right time. Some attractions don't open till the spring time. There is a castle in Landstuhl that opens next month. There is also the Japanese gardens that open next month. As what everybody else has said there is a lot of opportunity for photography. This is my second stationed here, same post twice. I am about 35-45 minutes from Landstuhl. Yesterday my family and I went to a castle not to far from us, and a Zoo in Kaiserslautern. I believe the castle that DW is talking about is the Neuschwanstein Castle. I was only a couple hours from there just last weekend, but didn't have enough time to visit. If you have any questions about Germany please feel free to ask, I will try and answer them the best I can.

Mike

Phillydog1958

Congratulations on getting orders for Germany. I did a 2-year tour, way back in the late 70's - early 80's. I had a nice time. That's where I bought my first SLR, an old Canon AE-1. You can get some great prices on camera equipment through the PX system. You don't pay tax. But, you know that. Europe is a great place to photograph. The Old World architectural style is all over the place. As another poster said, go to the nearest bahnhof and just jump on a train. Get out and hit the larger cities. Munchen, Frankfort and Nuerenberg were a few of my favorites. Most importantly, get out there and meet the people. Experience the culture.

Last edited:

PhotoAV8R

Most places in Europe are so different from the states, that it seems everything is photogenic. Carry your camera whenever and wherever you can.

And, thank you for your service, Justin.