D7000 is so complex

Madphotogirl

I just upgraded from the D5100 to the D7000 and I'm surprised that my photos look so soft. I've been using my 18-105 and my AF-S 50mm 1.4. I did just get it yesterday but I am concerned with focusing issues people have talked about on here. My camera store has had an awful time keeping the d7000 in stock but they have some currently so I am considering going back tomorrow for help.

I love the feel and the controls on this camera. I really hope it's just my user error and not an error with the camera.

oh... I only have a 10 day window to return/exchange thru my local store and I am starting a new job this week which means I will not get a lot of time to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madphotogirl

Ok. I have been using AF-A and using the center AF point, just as an FYI. These are straight out of the camera, no editing... Be nice.. click on the D7000 for all metadata

D7000 issues - a set on Flickr

I see there have been several posts about back focusing on this camera and one member said something to the effect of not being used to such resolution. I cam from a 60D so I am used to high res. picts.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Nikki (I think that's your name?).

Okay, I just grabbed the first photo I came across for an example:

6845500560_3fe2ed03fb_b.jpg

Yes the face area is blurry but if you notice the lettering on the shirt it looks quite sharp. In your ViewNX software, does the focus point (i.e. red box) show up at all and if it does, where does it show up? That's not the be all and end all but I'm just curious.

How far were you from your son when you took this? The minimum focus distance for the 18-105 lens is about 1.4 feet. If your son's head was slightly inside that distance then it will not be in focus. Also, assuming you were around 1.5 feet away from your son, then the total depth of field you have to work with is only about 2" with the D7000 at f/8 (i.e. a very small area to be in focus).

Here is another random shot I chose - you shot this at f/16 on the 18-105. Not a good idea - diffraction sets in probably just after f/11 (or quite possibly before) and makes things softer. The 18-105VR is an excellent lens but the D7000 is punishing on anything but the best lenses. The extremely high pixel density (not just high resolution) mandates that you develop rock solid hand holding techniques and use higher shutter speeds. The D7000 does not suffer newbies gladly! :) It took me at least 3 or 4 months with my D7000 before I felt like I had a decent handle on how to get along with it.

6845499598_7fd34984cf_b.jpg

PS. I've sent you a PM with some additional information on how to master the D7000. :)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
On thing I found out also is that you probably will get sharper shots using the Quiet shutter mode. I prevents the mirror and shutter to induce vibration to the shot. It's even more noticeable in the vicinity of 1/125s and under.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
How strange that this camera "can't" be handheld below 1/125! 125 is a faster shutter. Some of the worst shots came from the 50 1.4g!

I never said it couldn't be hand held at 1/125th. I said that I got better results with the quiet mode. The camera is more dependent on holding technique than my D90 for example. I find it amazing that we try to compare our everyday snapshots to pro shots that were made using heavy duty tripods, mirror up mode. If you just read the new D800 notes that Nikon published, you find out that auto focus is NOT perfect on any camera and if you want a "sharp" shot, you might as well use a tripod.

If the camera is moving when you press the shutter, the shot won't be sharp. So brace yourself or better yet, get a monopod or a tripod and use it.

Madphotogirl

Marcel I understand. I am a little disappointed I was hoping the AF would be able to keep up with my son. I guess I will have a learning curve with this beast.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, the thing is you probably will be very happy with pictures that look "not sharp enough" when looked at 100% on the screen. It will all depend on how large you want to print them. I find that I can live with not so sharp pictures when I only have 5x7 or 8x10 printed. I do have to apply sharpening in post processing though but it makes them quite acceptable.

If you're planning on poster size it's another story altogether though.

So keep practicing until you find the settings and technique that satisfies you. It might take a little while, but once you get there you'll be very happy with this camera. The color depth and file quality really impresses me.

Mestre

I have a D7000 and to be honest I don't like all the confusion around the 3D focus and the AF-A.
I had a D80 and a D90 before and i never faced focus issues, but i always used AF-S.
After i switched to AF-S my problems were solved, my pics are quiet sharp and I just need to understand more the AF-C on the camera.
Try some shots with AF-S and see if you are happy with the result.