17-55mm or 85mm or 50mm 1.4

samuraishot

As some of you know, I I recently upgraded from a D70 to a D300.

I already have a Tokina 11-16mm for my architecture and landscape shots, which is a great lens, by the way.

I also have a 50mm 1.8 that's been a blast to use.

Now I have a few questions and would like your opinions on which lens I should get next.

I have the opportunity to purchase 1 of the 3 lenses in the thread title from a friend who's moving to Canon equipment by the end of the summer and he's giving me first dibs on his lenses.

I'm looking for a general use lens, which leads me to the 17-55mm, but I've also heard great things of the 85mm being an awesome portrait lens. Which is better?

Also, should I get rid of the 50mm 1.8 and get the 1.4?

What would be a dynamite combo?

:cool:

bluenoser

Banned
Hello samuraishot (what is your *real* first name? "sam"?)

The Tokina 11-16 is a great wide angle lens - you choose well there! The 50 1.8D is a super little lens too - nothing wrong with that one at all. I would say that of all your choices moving up from the 50 1.8 to the 50 1.4 would see you get the least bang for your buck.

So we are down to the 17-55 and the 85mm (are we talking about the 1.8D or the 1.4D or something else?) For the sake of argument I'm going to assume that it's the 85 1.4D.

I own both of these 2 lenses and I love them both! The 17-55 2.8 is the best DX only lens you can buy - it's the closest approximation in FX terms to the 24-70 2.8 (which I also own). On my D7000, I get far more use out of the 17-55 2.8. It is basically bolted to it. I also love my 85 1.4D but it doesn't get nearly the use that my 17-55 1.8 gets. What does that mean for you? Almost nothing frankly as my style and preferences may be entirely different to your own.

Personally, I have very little use for a wide angle lens (I have the Sigma 10-20 but barely have used it in a couple of years) however I find myself using the 17-55 constantly. I haven't jumped into portraiture is a huge way at all to this point so my 85 1.4D (an awesome portrait lens!) gets less action. The bokeh on the "cream machine" is perhaps the best that Nikon has to offer but it's a totally different animal to the 17-55.

There isn't a bad lens in the bunch you are considering so all you have to really do is decide which lens will suit your personal style of shooting. Do you find the 16mm too short on the 11-16? Does your 18-70 get much use? Do you like that focal length range? Etc, etc. Frankly I would recommend to most to have both the 85mm and mid-range zoom (i.e. 17-55) bases covered and buy both if possible.

Hopefully your friend will give you a great deal and you can choose 2 of those lenses! Good luck.

Sambr

Another vote for the 17-55 2.8 especially if it's going to be "general purpose" the 85 is a great lens however like James I rarely use it. Remember on DX the 85 will becomes a 127.5 mm

samuraishot

Thanks for your input guys!

Another friend of mine who also has a 17-55mm just came by and dropped off his copy for me to mess around with. Woohoo! Just in time as I was about to rent it.

Anyway, the quality of the shots I'm getting is amazing. I can't believe what I've been missing. So far so good!

I'm afraid now to try out the 85mm. @ bluenoser, I'm not sure which 85mm it is, I'll get back to you on that.