D90 shutter button stuck?

chooko

US

I have been using my D90 for about 3 years, and I will admit I that I have taken it to some pretty remote places, and generally asked a lot of it in terms of sandy/dusty conditions, windy conditions, proximity to the ocean, etc. I have always stored it in a bag, and generally try to take the best care of it that I can. I am wondering though, if the uses I have put it through are catching up to it. Recently, it started acting as if the shutter button is ALWAYS held down (at least intermittently). I will be shooting pictures with it, when suddenly I will get an r7 where the number of pictures remaining is displayed. If I move the camera, it will autofocus even without my hand on the button, and the metering light will flash in association with the autofocus light. The audible beep also accompanies the autofocus actuation. While it is stuck in this condition, other functions (playback for example) are unavailable. If I hit the playback button while this is going on, the screen remains blank. Also, the green light in the top display stays illuminated. It does take pictures however. I have tried the 2 button reset, and everything else I can think of, and I am beginning to think that either some dirt has gotten down in to the camera, or some corrosion has occured, either case causing the camera to act as if the shutter button is half way depressed. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any idea's? I am in Okinawa for another few months, and dont really want to try to get the camera serviced here. Any advise or input would be much appreciated. Joe

Koolaid

you're probably correct, some dust and or dirt could be making your shutter become stuck, i mean it makes sense too if your auto focus is activating by itself the camera is thinking you are tipping the shutter, if you're in Okinawa why not take it to a camera shop there? im sure you can easily find a respected camera store there. a large amount of people shoot film in japan so a trustworthy shop shouldn't be too far away.