Snaps Made with the 50/1.8 Series E

Eye-level

Banned
Maybe this is the kind of thing we need to do to get some threads going with some of our photos. This is sort of an "example" type thread of a particular lens the 50/1.8 Series E manual focus get up. You are welcome to post your snaps so folks can see what the 50 E can do...here are a couple to get us started...the first is Affordable Autoglassman Rick English...he frigging looks like some kind of English sailor born in the wrong time...LOL I think the soft focus really helps...LOL (he'd like that statement probably!) and the second is the indomitable Mr Emmit looking all serious and Indian cool like...hahha

021.JPG

020 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye-level

Banned
Here is one more done with the 50 E...chalk up another ten bucks to Eye-level's shooting car lot cars that are for sale this week account!

003 (2).JPG

DW_

Cool! I have this but have never put it on a digital body. It is safe, right? I think I've read something to the effect that it is but then I've also read something about these older lenses doing damage. This isn't one of them, I take it? This lens came with an old F body I purchased years ago. The lens is in surprisingly amazing shape for being so old. Unlike the tele lens that also came with the body, there's not breaks in the lens coating or any marks on either side of the glass, totally perfect. I'm thinking the original owner was not a fan of the prime and kept it in the closet while the put the tele thru the ringer. I'll put it on my D7k and post an image.

Eye-level

Banned
Hey Jeff, how much is that Prowler going for? Neat looking car. I wonder if they are expensive to care for.

I think they are consigning it at 30K Marcel...they are neat looking but they are one of the roughest riding most mickey mouse made cars I think I have ever seen. They have neon 4 cylinder motors in them so they are dogs. The trunk lids are known to just fly open while you're driving down the road which bends the hinges and scratches the hell out of the rear bumper fascia. The interior doesn't match the modern unique retro styling of the body and many of the interior components were sourced from the leftover parts bin. They only made 1500 of them so I am sure they lost their @sses on that one and approximately 95% were sold to men who made in excess of 150K a year so they are sort of a toy car.

And did I mention they are the roughest riding cars ever made anywhere anytime? LOL I've rode in 1 ton trucks that were like a cadillac compared to the prowler...it really is that bad!

Cool! I have this but have never put it on a digital body. It is safe, right? I think I've read something to the effect that it is but then I've also read something about these older lenses doing damage. This isn't one of them, I take it? This lens came with an old F body I purchased years ago. The lens is in surprisingly amazing shape for being so old. Unlike the tele lens that also came with the body, there's not breaks in the lens coating or any marks on either side of the glass, totally perfect. I'm thinking the original owner was not a fan of the prime and kept it in the closet while the put the tele thru the ringer. I'll put it on my D7k and post an image.
The 50 E is a native ais lens so they do work on anything I think...cool thing is they don't have the fork that mechanically transmits the aperture information to the meter on the old cameras...does anyone remember the Nikon shuffle? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ragecat

It works flawlessly with a D7000. It will even meter if you set up a non-CPU lens data profile in the menus. You move the aperture ring instead of the front scroll wheel and once you set a focus point there will be a digital rangefinder in the bottom left corner of your viewfinder telling you to turn the focus ring left or right and will be a dot when you nail it. My uncle just gave one to me because he found his old Nikon FG and it's in wonderful shape.

Eye-level

Banned
I've always wanted a complete collection of all the Series E lenses...especially now that I have the 5000...D5000 and all the Series E lenses plus a handful of filters = complete camera system... :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've always wanted a complete collection of all the Series E lenses...especially now that I have the 5000...D5000 and all the Series E lenses plus a handful of filters = complete camera system... :)

Excuse my ignorance Jeff but what is so special about this series E lenses ? Are they rare or just better?

Eye-level

Banned
No they are cheap deapo...not even Nikkors...and the first set of plastic lenses Nikon made...as such they are very affordable...and go look at some snaps made with the 75-150 zoom E...good stuff!

The story goes sort of like this...back in 77 or 78 the F series of cameras began to be eclipsed by the new auto everything cameras by folks like Minolta and Canon. Nikon began to search for new niches and one market they targeted was women. They created the all plastic EM auto everything except for focus and a handful of lenses to match the system and called it the woman's camera. It was a huge flop despite being a fairly nice small lightweight kit...little did anyone know that in the future plastic camera construction would become the prevalent type of gear.

I like the E's because they are pretty decent and they are so lightweight.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the info Jeff.

I have one 28-80 3.3-5.6 G lens that is all plastic and extremely light. I find if very nice and it still has Nikon quality in the glass.

Eye-level

Banned
That is what you run into with the Series E Lenses. They are well made and they are good enough for the pictures that most people shoot. The 50/1.8 E is on par with the Nikkor 50/1.8, the 100 Series E is particulary reknowned to be a fantastic lens and it is sort of a pancake lens at least by other 100mm focal length standards. The 75-150 Series E zoom is an incredible performer as well and because of a Popular Photography magazine test article that may or may not have been exactly true it is the E that has somewhat of a "legacy" lens moniker attached to it. The only one of the E's that has a "bad" reputation is the 28 and it really isn't that bad at all. The reason for this reputation is that the Nikkor 28/2.8 is so much better.

To this very day many folks scoff at the Series E lenses...which is stupid IMHO...

Last edited: