Multipurpose Zoom Lense

mellowtoad

Hi folks,

I've got a D5100 with the basic kit lense that came with it. On my older non-dslr cameras, I had super zoom lenses that could do anything from up close macro zooms to up to 16x zooms. Are there any multipurpose lenses like this available for the D5100 dslr? Probably a long shot, but it would be great if there was.

fotojack

Yup, lots of multizoom lenses out there for your D5100. check out Adorama, B&H Photo, Nikon USA, etc. Depends what you want to do with the lens. There are no "do-it'all" lenses, but there are lenses for any occasion that will fit your needs.

DW_

Will the new 28-300mm work on a D5100? Although it has its issues (see HERE), I think it comes pretty darn close to a "do-it-all" lens.

Mark E

I reallly enjoy mine. Use it on the D700, but it will work on the D5100. My favorite lens for the DX cameras is the 18x200.

ZekeMenuar

Will the new 28-300mm work on a D5100? Although it has its issues (see HERE), I think it comes pretty darn close to a "do-it-all" lens.

You might want to test drive the 55-300 VR zoom lens. Especially since Adorama has refurbs for $269.

I bought one and I'm real happy with it.

The link in the quote has a section that compares the 28-300 VR against the 55-300 VR lens.

FWIW, I use the 55-200mm VR lens as a walkaround. I'll give up 100mm in favor of faster auto-focus and weight savings.

Last edited:

Rick M

From an IQ perspective, you are better off with 2 lenses which cover 18-300. The 28-300 may be nice, but on dx you're starting out at 42mm which isn't very wide (would drive me nuts). I would think eventually you'll be changing lenses anyway to get below 42mm, so it's no longer an "all in one".

Last edited:

Bukitimah

I would also recommend at least 2 basic lenses. 1 that covers 17-70 and another 70-300 so that you cover the range. Bring out the 70-300 only when you need to shoot anything far but leave the 17-70 mm as your general purpose lens