Washed out face

viscountdriver

Experimenting with my new D3100 I wanted to take an indoor shot with the self timer. Everything was crystal clear except the face which was wiped out. I tried several settings and moving further back. It was the kit lens and on board flash.Any ideas would be welcome as relatives come soon and I would like some good shots of a baby.

fotojack

More info is required to make a determination of the problem. Settings such as WB (White Balance), EV (Exposure Value), ISO, shooting mode used (Aperture Priority - Manual Priority - Shutter Priority - Program Mode), lens used, lens settings shutter speed, aperture setting (f stop), why flash was used...........see what I mean? We need details! :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Just post your exif data, like Jack said. it makes it easier for us to help you. I'm guessing that you just need to reduce the power output of your flash (-EV).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I suspect that you were using auto-focus. In this mode with the self timer, the camera probably focused on the wall way back of where you were planning to sit/stand.
Try it with manual focus and focus ahead of the wall. This will be trial and error, but with digital, you don't have to wait for the film to comeback from the photo finisher to find out and correct.

Best of luck and let us know if this solution works for you.

Enjoy your Nikon!