So what is this for.

coach

I read Bob's post and thought he had put it in the right place. The topic for this say's ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN PHOTOGRAPHY. Maybe you need to be little clearer about what is allowed here. I am not even sure this is allowed here now.

ohkphoto

Snow White
We will be . . . the site administrator is coming up with a clearer statement. It's so unfortunate that everything has to be spelled out. This is supposed to be a fun site, including this thread. It's not meant to be a heavy duty political or therapy forum . . . there's enough of that in real life.

fotojack

I read Bob's post and thought he had put it in the right place. The topic for this say's ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN PHOTOGRAPHY. Maybe you need to be little clearer about what is allowed here. I am not even sure this is allowed here now.

Yes, I agree, and it is in the process of being changed to reflect the exact purpose of this particular forum. Originally, it was meant to be understood as "self evident".

Think of it this way: I go into a political or religious type forum and start talking about photography or trains or birds or whatever. It obviously has nothing to do with politics or religion, does it. I agree the Off Topic forum is ambiguous, but as I said, it will be changed to reflect its true purpose. Thanks for your input on this contentious issue. :)

bobmielke

We will be . . . the site administrator is coming up with a clearer statement. It's so unfortunate that everything has to be spelled out. This is supposed to be a fun site, including this thread. It's not meant to be a heavy duty political or therapy forum . . . there's enough of that in real life.

I have been lectured and the thread locked. Let's not drag it out more in any other area of the forum. Lesson learned, Open Topics aren't really open topics. As far as referring it to therapy I'd be careful about putting labels on people you DON'T know. When's the last time you served in a war zone? Hmmm?

Last edited:

DW_

Although I hesitate to jump into the fray since I agree politics/war doesn't seem like it has a place on photography forum, some of the greatest photos of the 20th century were taken in the theater of war and wartime. So in an indirect and tenuous way, war and photography do have a connection....just sayin, yo. :D

bobmielke

Oh, please. Let's leave all the drama behind. Get your own blog off this forum and you can "speak" all you want all over the net.

I edited out that remark, realizing I was getting too upset about this thread. You quoted it before I retracted it. Sorry! You are free to put me on your Ignore list - please.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Although I hesitate to jump into the fray since I agree politics/war doesn't seem like it has a place on photography forum, some of the greatest photos of the 20th century were taken in the theater of war and wartime. So in an indirect and tenuous way, war and photography do have a connection....just sayin, yo.

I agree. But we can discuss war and documentary photography without getting into dogmatic and personally inflammatory discussions, and if you look back over some of the threads, we have successfully discussed that and am sure we will do so again in a professional manner.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I edited out that remark, realizing I was getting too upset about this thread. You quoted it before I retracted it. Sorry! You are free to put me on your Ignore list - please.

Words can't be taken back and obliterated with a "sorry" . You are definitely NOT on my ignore list, after this little outburst.

bluenoser

Banned

Hi there coach. I agree that the type of topics in the "Off Topic - about everything else other than photography" forum (unfortunately) needs to be more specifically spelled out.

Rest assured your post is allowed here :)

Thank you for raising this valuable point.

coach

I thought it was ok Bob I like to know the people I am interacting with. Gives me a chance to know you understand you and when they comment on a photo maybe have a better understanding of where they are coming from. Learn to see it from your perspective. I know I am new to all of this but at present it seems very impersonal. No I am not looking it's a great photo when it really sucks. I posted three pictures yesterday to see what the reactions would be knowing that they all were not very good. For me personally to respect someone's comment I would really like to know you and your background. I mean are you the type that just get on here and rips every photo you see or are you truly trying to help me. Well anyway didn't mean to start a big uproar.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Even though this forum is off topic is wasn't intended to house deep discussions about religion and politics. This thread is a good example why those things shouldn't be posted. It's hard not to get feelings hurt about things you feel so strongly about. A site like this isn't really the place.

Calm down kids :)