Star Trails

Dills13

I have just started experimenting with night photography (I have a D3100) and would like to take some star trail photo's. I have had a few test runs with 30 second exposures of the night sky and they have turned out great, but my only question is when taking a 30 second exposure once the shutter has closed the camera takes another 10 or so seconds to process the RAW Image. I am just worried about having gaps in the star trails once I have stacked the images because of having to wait 10 seconds between each exposure. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in Advance

Just-Clayton

Just get a remote cable and set it to bulb. Thats what I do.

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (800x532).jpg
    DSC_0001 (800x532).jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 549
  • DSC_0750 (640x425).jpg
    DSC_0750 (640x425).jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 494

DW_

That time lag between the end of your exposure is most likely your Noise Reduction (NR) function taking place. It somehow samples the background or something completely different and then uses that information to lower the overall noise in the first shot. If you're not a fan of the lag just turn off the NR function and you shouldn't have that lag any longer.

Dills13

Ok thanks alot. I was worried about getting hot pixels in the picture if I left it on Bulb for too long. I'll try turning the noise reduction off when I head to Fraser Island this weekend to get away from the light pollution.

Great Pics!