Is battery life really that good?

PapaST

I've had my D7000 for about 4 months now. I have the focus assist light disabled but I do use the "after shot preview" and I use the fill flash very sparingly. Each outing I'm shooting anywhere from 20 - 900 shots and not once have I seen the battery indicator go down a single bar. Granted I do have the Nikon battery grip but I shoot with and without it. I know the battery life is improved but is it really that good? Anyone have similar results?

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Well according to battery testing in the D7000 using their proprietary battery and "Nikon" standard testing, they say that you can expect 4,500 shots per battery/per charge. So if you are using the EN-EL15 battery in the grip and the body you are looking at 9,000 shots! (wow!!)

View attachment 9080

bobmielke

I wasn't able to wear out the battery on my D7000 during my vacation to 5 national parks. I had two spares with me that I rotate as I use my camera. The new D800 uses the same battery so I'll wind up with two chargers and 4 EN-EL15 batteries. I use the carrying case for my car stereo's front faceplate to carry the spares in my Think Tank Retrospective 20 Pinecrest camera bag. Perfect!

Think-Tank-Bag-L.jpg

Last edited:

EttVenter

I most certainly don't get 4500 shots out of a battery, but I AM happy with battery life. I can get anywhere between about 1000 - 1600 out of a battery, which is amazing for me.

bluenoser

Banned
I use the carrying case for my car stereo's front faceplate to carry the spares in my Think Tank Retrospective 20 Pinecrest camera bag. Perfect!

Bob, I couldn't agree more with you. I have that exact same bag (TT Retro 20 in pine) and it is indeed perfect! I used the Retro 10 for quite a while and loved it too but the 20 is just better when you've got some of the larger/longer lenses - especially when you want to keep them mounted on your camera and still have it fit in your bag.

bobmielke

Bob, I couldn't agree more with you. I have that exact same bag (TT Retro 20 in pine) and it is indeed perfect! I used the Retro 10 for quite a while and loved it too but the 20 is just better when you've got some of the larger/longer lenses - especially when you want to keep them mounted on your camera and still have it fit in your bag.

The only problem is that now I have this closet full of other camera bags I never use. Sound familiar?

DW_

The Mansurovs, perhaps the most thorough and exacting camera reviewer known to me (I especially like that none of his reviews end with a blatant groveling for money) did a massive review on the D7000. Here's what he mentioned about the battery life

"Lastly, I am not very happy with the new battery, charger and MB-D11 grip that only work with the D7000. Although the new battery is supposed to be better and should last longer, it is unfortunate that I cannot use my EN-EL3e batteries that I was happily using with the D300 and D700 cameras. My MB-D10 that could easily swap between the D300/D700 also cannot be used with the D7000. Unless the new battery type and holder are going to be used in the upcoming Nikon D400/D800 cameras, I’m sure this is something the current D80/D90/D200/D300/D300s/D700 owners will brag about."

The rest of his review can be read here - Nikon D7000 Review

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
As much as I love my D7000, as a D700 and D90 owner, I sometimes think of selling the 7000 to get a 300. This way, I could interchange the batteries and the grip between 700 and 300. But the quality of the 7000 files keep me from doing so. I guess from now on we will see the new battery in most of the future Nikon DSLRs (Japanese regulations obliging).