D5100 Shopping List

§am

Decided to go the Nikon route (much deliberation between Nikon & Canon), and finally the D5100 (over the D7000).

I'm looking to get the standard 'kit' (body & 18-55mm lens), but also wanted opinions on a couple of other extras;

1) Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S or the Nikon 35mm 1.8G AF-S
Going to be primarily used for portrait type pictures of family (2 young kids)
I'm currently edging to the 50mm as it looks a better lens (I can't afford the 85mm) but I've heard the 35mm is a good choice too.
Problem is, the 50mm is out of stock everywhere, so do I wait, or bite the bullet and go for the 35mm? Thoughts please :)

2) Flash
I've used a D3100 before and didn't enjoy the built-in flash, and also used the same with SB-400, but found when you go portrait, the flash goes portrait too (no pivot). With that in mind, I see similar issues with the built-in flash on the D5100....
I can't see myself using a SB-700 (price is a factor), as is the size and portability.
So my choices are (unless someone can suggest otherwise)
Sigma EF610 DG ST
Bower SFD926N
Metz 44 AF-1

3) Decent 52mm & 58mm lens filters for the above
Someone suggested the Hoya UV(0) S-HMC Haze filters (reasonably priced) but I don't want to be spending too much on them :)

All and any help will be much appreciated :-D
(I'm going stateside soon, so looking to save some money by getting the stuff there instead of here in the UK :) )

bluenoser

Banned
Decided to go the Nikon route (much deliberation between Nikon & Canon), and finally the D5100 (over the D7000).

Great choice! The 5100 is a super camera.

I'm looking to get the standard 'kit' (body & 18-55mm lens), but also wanted opinions on a couple of other extras;

You'll find that you'll be wanting lots of little extras over the years with photography as your hobby! lol! (It's called NAS - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome :))

1) Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S or the Nikon 35mm 1.8G AF-S
Going to be primarily used for portrait type pictures of family (2 young kids)
I'm currently edging to the 50mm as it looks a better lens (I can't afford the 85mm) but I've heard the 35mm is a good choice too.
Problem is, the 50mm is out of stock everywhere, so do I wait, or bite the bullet and go for the 35mm? Thoughts please :)

Since you're unsure whether you prefer the 35mm or 50mm focal length, why not take the 18-55 you already own, set it at both 35mm and then at 50mm and see which field of view you prefer. Both the 35mm and 50mm lenses are excellent, fast little lenses so it really comes down to which focal length will work best for *you*. Some prefer the 35 and others the 50 (some get both!) - there is no universally correct answer to this question.

2) Flash
I've used a D3100 before and didn't enjoy the built-in flash, and also used the same with SB-400, but found when you go portrait, the flash goes portrait too (no pivot). With that in mind, I see similar issues with the built-in flash on the D5100....
I can't see myself using a SB-700 (price is a factor), as is the size and portability.
So my choices are (unless someone can suggest otherwise)
Sigma EF610 DG ST
Bower SFD926N
Metz 44 AF-1

I don't know any of those flashes but if you can't swing the SB-700 (which really is your best bet) then perhaps look into the Sunpak PF30X or the Yong Nuo YN467 as SB400 alternatives. However if you can wait, save up a bit more you'd be much further ahead of the game with one of Nikon's best flashes - the SB700.

3) Decent 52mm & 58mm lens filters for the above
Someone suggested the Hoya UV(0) S-HMC Haze filters (reasonably priced) but I don't want to be spending too much on them :)

There aren't many issues that are as open to debate as opinions on the usefulness of filters! :) However let me give you a bit about mine in relation to your situation.

Higher end Hoya filters are fine quality. However while I like to use good quality B+W MRC filters (read: expensive) on my expensive lenses ($1,000+) I don't use them on my less expensive lenses - the cost/benefit ratio doesn't seem to work for me. Just keep your hood extended and the front lens element will be deeply recessed and reasonably well protected. However many people still do choose to use filters for all of their lenses and you could do much worse than Hoya.

Best of luck to you sir.

§am

You'll find that you'll be wanting lots of little extras over the years with photography as your hobby!

Because I'm going stateside and getting a decent(ish) exchange rate, I'm finding, I'm already adding bits which I might have otherwise waited later on in the year for :)

Since you're unsure whether you prefer the 35mm or 50mm focal length, why not take the 18-55 you already own, set it at both 35mm and then at 50mm and see which field of view you prefer.
I don't have the camera/lens yet, but walking into my local photography shop and doing that has helped... I think I may just have to wait out for stock of the 50mm 1.8G (which means paying an extra £~20 in the UK if I can't get hold of one over the pond :()

look into the Sunpak PF30X or the Yong Nuo YN467 as SB400 alternatives.
For some reason (maybe I'm in a hurry), I couldn't find the Yong Nuo anywhere, and the Sunpak was only in a Canon mount - will have to delve deeper when I get a chance.

However if you can wait, save up a bit more you'd be much further ahead of the game with one of Nikon's best flashes - the SB700.
Think this is one I'll have to save up for over the next 18+ months period:(

There aren't many issues that are as open to debate as opinions on the usefulness of filters!
With two young children and the potential to have lens poking is the probably the biggest reason to stick some glass in front of my glass!

Thanks for your help thus far :D

eurotrash

Well, I can say I went with the 35mm 1.8 and the SB-400 flash. I couldn't be happier. I rarely use flash, but when I do I only need a minimum amount of light, not the burst of sunshine that the higher end flashes output.

The 35mm is the closest thing to a 50mm that you'll get on a DX camera anyway. 50mm is more like 85mm, which, is too long IMHO.
I prefer my 50 for portraits, but again, in a house, party, concert or really any indoor space, good luck backing up enough! Plus, with the 35mm, it's FAST, so I don't find myself using my flash much any longer. The only time I will is when I'm trying to freeze motion. Hope that info helps.

§am

I've opted for the SB-400 too - it's small/compact, very good performing and I don't feel like I am lugging around too much if I take it with me for those just in case I need a flash moments.
Probably still save up for a SB-700 over time, but for now, it's not a high priority :)

I hear what you say about the 35mm being a 50mm, but in all honesty not going to be doing any 35mm film photography, so the comparison for me is somewhat null & void.
I tried both the 35mm and the 50mm at a photography exibition here recently, and after much deliberation, the 50mm wins it for me :)

eurotrash

it's more about the environment you'll be using it in as opposed to doing film photography. I chose that one because I don't need to back up as far when shooting. you can always move closer after all.
I also own the 50, but it's not the auto focus version unfortunately. Didn't feel like double-dipping however since I've already got basically the same thing.

What won you over on the 50 though out of curiosity?