The Human Brain

M.Hinch

Why do we assume that a manipulated picture of a flower, where the leaves are other than green, incorrect, that something is wrong?

Yet viewing a "painting" of the same flower with the leaves in any colour acceptable?

Michael:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Artistic licence? Yeah, doesn't make sense, does it. I don't know, Mike, but it's a good question. You'll probably get a dozen different answers, eh. :)

Carolina Photo Guy

Why do we assume that a manipulated picture of a flower, where the leaves are other than green, incorrect, that something is wrong?

Yet viewing a "painting" of the same flower with the leaves in any colour acceptable?

Michael:confused:

I think its "perceptive expectations". As a general rule people expect a photograph to be reasonably representative of reality.
A photograph of a flower (within reason) will always have green leaves. Even B&W photographs will follow the same line of visual
reality.

A painting, on the other hand is acknowledged as a purely interpretive attempt at the reality of the artist.
Since THAT reality does not necessarily exist outside the realm of the artists imagination, the same rules of perceptive expectations does not apply.

Or something like that! :)

bluenoser

Banned
I think its "perceptive expectations". As a general rule people expect a photograph to be reasonably representative of reality.
A photograph of a flower (within reason) will always have green leaves. Even B&W photographs will follow the same line of visual
reality.

A painting, on the other hand is acknowledged as a purely interpretive attempt at the reality of the artist.
Since THAT reality does not necessarily exist outside the realm of the artists imagination, the same rules of perceptive expectations does not apply.

Now Pete don't go getting all "fancy" and high-minded on us! (people might get the impression you know what you're talking about).

Just stick to your usual smart-a$$ remarks okay?

:)

bluenoser

Banned
emphasis on "smart" . . . he knows a helluva a lot more than you realize.

Easy does it Helene...I know Pete is your "pet" (and a cute one at that!) but surely you must realize I wasn't being serious? :confused:

Even in my short time here I quickly realized Pete is quite obviously a way-above average guy in all respects - intelligence just being one of them. If I really thought Pete (or anyone else) was stupid I wouldn't have posted what I did!

Pete of all people would surely appreciate my clear intention of being sarcastic (he's made a living at it! :))

I hope you did too. Give me a little credit. Sheesh.

PS. Pete: You've got quite the body-guard there! (defends even when there is no attack! :))

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Easy does it Helene...
I hope you did too. Give me a little credit. Sheesh.

PS. Pete: You've got quite the body-guard there! (defends even when there is no attack! :))

Don't worry James, Helene is very good with dogs. So she barks but she doesn't bite ;)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hopefully James knows me well enough by now to understand that sometimes things don't come out of my mouth like they should. Had to break up a dog fight yesterday morning so I must still be in that "aroused and reactive" mode (taken from my dogs' language)

So, gentlemen, no "barking" or "biting" was intended. Let's just blame Pete.

bluenoser

Banned
Hopefully James knows me well enough by now to understand that sometimes things don't come out of my mouth like they should.
You and me both Helene. More often than not I have my comments and intentions misconstrued (I think it has something to do with my shaved head :)) I still love you. :rainbow:

Last edited: