Knock off D7000 grip

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've used generic brands before (Zeikos) and they don't last that long. I would suggest getting a Nikon brand which will last longer, more reliable and will have a higher re-sale value compared to the plastic couterparts.

Some have mentioned: "The poorman pays twice" - Anonymous.

bluenoser

Banned
Here is an excellent thread from last year discussing various user experiences with 3rd party grips for the D7000. LINK

I believe a few members on Nikonites use the after-market grip.

PS. I will say that I agree with what Glenn had to say above and that I also bought the OEM MD-B11. However I do realize that there is a large difference in price between the knock-offs and the OEM and the temptation that will hold. :)

Sambr

I've used generic brands before (Zeikos) and they don't last that long. I would suggest getting a Nikon brand which will last longer, more reliable and will have a higher re-sale value compared to the plastic couterparts.

Some have mentioned: "The poorman pays twice" - Anonymous.
Totally agree, I too bought the Nikon grip - works great no issues with it at all - some of the knockoff's are made out of cheap plastic and have wiring issues.

EttVenter

I've got a Knock-Off grip on my D7000, no problems at all. I can't imagine the Genuine Nikon grip being any better, to be honest.

I got mine off ebay, from a seller called lightup-photo, I believe.

steptoe

Your lucky to have the choice. If you have a D3100 then all you have is 3rd party grips until Nikon choose to release their own

But it does have the side effect of not being forced to pay £30-40 for a branded battery just because Nikon decided to change the firmware to only accept their own batteries

Madphotogirl

OK I am trying to wake this dead thread up!!
When folks were talking about the 3rd party grip controls being "backward" did you reverse the direction of the command dials on your D7000? I did reverse my command dials so when I turn the from dial for my aperture to the right I am opening the aperture and if I go left I am stopping it down. This is the opposite of what Nikon does by default..

So I bought a Meike grip from link delight.com and it is "backward" for my use. So.... IF you are a shooter who uses the default dial set up this would be correct for you. Is there anyone out there whose 3rd party grip would suit my needs? Can we discuss a trade?????

Madphotogirl

So I did some digging and the Nikon brand grip does not allow you to reverse the command dials. So if anyone still has a "backwards" grip let me know.

DW_

On this subject, my knock-off grip arrived today. It's a Zeikos grip and seems great. However, I'm not sure how functional the buttons and dials are and I'm sure they're in the same place on a Nikon grip. How are you supposed to hold the camera such that you have access to the button and dials? I have very big hands and I love the way the camera feels. It certainly allows me to hold it more securely, however I'm confused about the functionality of the grip's buttons/dials.

Obir

I also have the Zeikos grip for my d7000.
It is a lot easier for me to hold the camera now, specially for portrait orientation shots. It feels a lot more natural.
The dials are "reversed" as others have mentioned, but it does not bother me at all and I got used to it very quickly.
I couldn't imagine being without it now:)

Last edited:

Obir

Hold the camera in portrait orientation and leave your right hand on the right (vs on top). You'll find that the shutter button and dials are positioned just right for this.:)

Madphotogirl

@ DW The grip is a "vertical grip" so when you take portraits you are using the shutter and commander dials on the grip.

Obir, I may just deal too. I thought there may be a chance I could help out someone and vice versa.

DW_

Ahhhh!!! I get it! Yes, it is perfectly positioned for a vertical photo. Thanks! I've been trying to figure out how to use it while holding it a standard way and couldn't for the life of me find a way to make it seem natural. But now it makes complete sense.

silverthornne

I've noticed that Link Delight sells a grip that includes a rechargeable battery. Is that also the Meike grip? They don't include brand information. And how does the rubber coating on the bottom of the Meike grip feel? I think I'm about to get it...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Madphotogirl

I like the feel of the rubber its not exactly the same but close. I have heard the off brand batteries are not "readable" by the d7000 body. If its not a huge price difference try it but I wouldn't be surprised if the battery doesn't work.

silverthornne

They do say the battery is only for the replacement grip and not for the camera or Nikon grip.

Anyway I ordered it so we'll see. I'll post impressions when I get it. They could be useful to someone :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk