Weekly Challenge: March 11 - March 25: Art Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Art Appreciation
Weekly Challenge: March 11 – March 25 (2012)

This challenge will give you an opportunity to focus on some of your maybe long-forgotten art history. As photographers, we admire works of art from various time periods and genre. Most of the guidelines we use for composition come directly from art design theory. Sometimes it’s nice to step out from behind the camera and admire a masterpiece from a different era. For this challenge, select a work of art that you admire from the Renaissance or Pre-Modern era (1400-1900 AD in any country) and use your photographic skills to “duplicate” the scene. Do NOT use post processing filters to give it any oil, watercolor, texture etc. effects. We want the photo to look like a photograph. The challenge here is to photographically duplicate the scene, e.g. if Monet had had a camera, what would the photo of one of his scenes have looked like AS A PHOTOGRAPH. In your challenge, post a photo of the masterpiece and your rendition of it as a photograph. It has to be a “real photograph” of a live scene . . . don’t just take a photo of your selected painting and photoshop it until it looks real . . . ( have I covered all the loopholes? ) Take the time to examine the lighting, angle of view and composition of your selected masterpiece. You might find that you can learn something from these “old masters.” You have two weeks to complete this challenge.

One more loophole to cover: let’s keep the NSFW out i.e. NO self portraits of Michaelangelo’s David, etc.

In case I need to state the obvious, pick a masterpiece that is “possible” (the image on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel might be a little difficult to replicate as a photograph) Most importantly, HAVE FUN WITH THIS! Here’s a chance for you to really expand your photography skills.

The sample below is taken from Rick Sammon’s Digital Imaging Diaries. If you follow his link, you can see how much effort he put into this project.

pearlearring.JPG

Here is the judging criteria

Style (60%) is defined in a number of ways as it applies to a creative image. It might be defined by a specific genre or simply be recognizable as the characteristics of how a specific artist applies light to a subject. It can impact an image in a positive manner when the subject matter and the style are appropriate for each other, or it can have a negative effect when they are at odds. In this exercise, we’re considering how well the photographer duplicated the “style” of the “old master”.

Technique (40%) is the approach used to create the image. Printing, lighting, posing, capture, presentation media, and more are part of the technique applied to an image.

(from 12 elements of a merit image)

These challenges are designed to help you grow in your photography skills and creativity, and also to have fun.
Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on March 25 (midnight EDT)...so get those photos in!

The Rules
1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIFdata can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
3. Challenges will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge, unless otherwise indicated.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Eye-level

Banned
OK I'm in seeing how there is no competition yet...LOL

The Scream...you all know the picture...about 5 copies known to man and they've been stealing them recently...amazing how 4 or 5 guys can go into a museum and lift a gazillion million dollar painting no sweat!

039.JPG

Here is the original inspiration...

munch scream.jpg

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I almost hate to bring this up. . . sigh . . . rules are rules. Jeff, was the "scream" done before 1900???

For this challenge, select a work of art that you admire from the Renaissance or Pre-Modern era (1400-1900 AD in any country)

AxeMan - Rick S.

I almost hate to bring this up. . . sigh . . . rules are rules. Jeff, was the "scream" done before 1900???

The Scream (Norwegian: Skrik) is a series of Expressionist paintings and prints created by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch between 1893 and 1910, showing an agonized figure against a red sky. The landscape in the background is the Oslofjord, viewed from Ekeberg, Oslo.
Edvard Munch created several versions of The Scream in various media. The National Gallery, Oslo holds one of two painted versions (1893, shown to right). The Munch Museum holds the other painted version (1910, see gallery) and one pastel.

The Scream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So which one is it?

ohkphoto

Snow White
I can't believe there are only three entries!! I have to admit they're stunning entries, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try!

Come on, wimps!!! This one requires a little bit of work and imagination! You have until midnight tonight!!

(including myself in the "wimps" comment)

Dave Hamilton

Strep last week made me think, but not do. This week my art work has been in my yard. Sorry, no real time to be creative even though this one sounded like fun!

miknoypinoy

heres mine. . .with some time to spare. . .lol. . .thanks helene. . .this is my first challenge of the week. . .had a blast. . .look forward to the rest to come. . . .

http://
artappreciation.jpg

size1.jpg

Cup of Water and a Rose on a Silver Plate
c. 1630
Francisco De Zurbaran

Status
Not open for further replies.