Manual Zooming in D5100 makes subject blurred

sbk_hbk

Hi,

I have recently purchased Nikon D5100 and am new to SLR camera.

When i do a manual zoom with 18-55mm lens subject becomes blurred, but when i do a auto focus the subject is normal.

Anybody can suggest what would be the reason for blurness?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

PhotoAV8R

Zoom and focus are apples and oranges. I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Are you trying to lock the focus at one focal length, then zoom and expect to keep the subject in focus? You might try auto-focusing, turn off the auto, then zoom and capture the shot.

I know some lenses will maintain focus after a zoom, while others will not. Perhaps someone here can say whether the 18-55mm will or should do that.

fotojack

Zoom and focus are apples and oranges. I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Are you trying to lock the focus at one focal length, then zoom and expect to keep the subject in focus? You might try auto-focusing, turn off the auto, then zoom and capture the shot.

I know some lenses will maintain focus after a zoom, while others will not. Perhaps someone here can say whether the 18-55mm will or should do that.

Yes, the 18-55 will do that.

bluenoser

Banned
Hello and welcome to Nikonites! :)

When i do a manual zoom with 18-55mm lens subject becomes blurred, but when i do a auto focus the subject is normal.

I'd love to help but I can't make heads or tails out of that statement. As Don pointed out above, zoom does not equal focus.

sbk_hbk

i will explain it with an example which i noticed, say for ex a building which is 40 mm distant from me.

- Camera is in auto mode and i zoomed it manually, captured it (No blurriness noticed with Auto Mode)
- Camera is in Manual mode and i zoomed it manually, i noticed blurriness..

its cleared only after i use auto mode option again.

I think its a very simple thing, but am not able to understand why it happens :'(

fotojack

Ahh, OK...I think I have it. The 18-55mm lens you're using...is it an AF-S model? VR? If so, the lens determines the focus when you're in Auto mode. When in Manual mode, everything is in manual, even the focusing! YOU have to use the focus ring (the very front of the lens) to focus. That's why it's called Manual. :) There's a switch on the lens....A_M. When that switch is set to M, everything has to be done manually....zooming and focusing. When the switch is in A, just the focusing is automatic. You still have to zoom by hand. I hope this clears it up for you. :)

michaelmyers

Hey All,

I have the same problem with the same lens and others, but the blurriness occurs when i start up my camera, or just randomly. The screen and pics are blurry. I will try the modes like your indicating, but it still occurs on automode. Any ideas?

RickSawThat

I have the same camera you use and have not had that problem. Here's how I use it:

Set camera to A or S mode. Make sure lens is set to M/A and VR = on.

Camera focuses every time as i slightly depress the shutter release button. I turn the zoom ring to zoom in and out and the camera adjusts focus as needed.

Hope this helps.

Myth

Fotojack is correct. I had the same problem. When in M mode the auto focus was not working and my images were blurry. I was told by another pro photographer to use manual focus and set the switch to M in lens as well use the ring. This might be some thing to do with motor on the body vs. lens...i am guessing in case of nikon.

sidewinder1009

well im totally confused as to what the problem is :-\
99% of the time you will not need manual focus especially on an 18-55mm lens. There is not need to select manual focus on the camera as it will change with the lens switch, on camera try selecting AF-C this is continuous auto focus and will refocus constantly while you have the shutter release half depressed.
when looking through the viewfinder you will see the black dots light up red to indicate that those points are in focus. not all will light up at the same time unless photographing something like a flat wall.
if you are selecting manual mode on the camera dial then you really need to make sure you know what you are doing with the camera before you start as the settings wont be right and it may be set to a slow shutter speed resulting in blurry photo's, also manual mode may have the camera set to manual focus even if the lens is not so check on the screen the right hand side says "AF-A/AF-C/AF-S" hope this helps as this is my interpretation of the question.
if you post some of these pictures on the forum we should be able to see the settings you used and may be more help.
failing that i would go to the camera shop where you bought it and ask them to help you as things are easily solved in person :)

Myth

If you shoot in A, S, P mode keep the lens switch to A-autofocus. It will auto focus irrespective of if you are in af-a, af-s or af-c. You will see the red dot locking the focus along with af-l green light in the view finder once the subject is locked.

If you shoot in M manual, everything is manual. Best practice is slide the lens switch to M and use the lens ring for focus. Change the focus to MF instead of af-s, af-a, af-c. You will see red dot and af-l lock but trust on the focus manually. I too wonder why...but thats how it works and lock your subject. I was told for getting best result in manual mode.

Last edited: