Monkey Business

bobmielke

This little guy looked so shy and lonely. He didn't move at all for minutes.

Monkey-01-X2.jpg

Monkey-01-Exif-XL.jpg

bluenoser

Banned
Hi again Bob. Another gorgeous photo from you and that 24-70!

I do however have to point out that as per this particular forum's rules, members are permitted only 1 thread per day in the Photo Critique forum. So far you've posted 3 of these threads in the Photo Critique forum in less than an hour.

Your experiences today showing off the the zoo and your 24-70 lens would perhaps be best displayed as a series of photos in a blog entry here or uploaded to your gallery or you could start your own "Bob" thread in the 365/daily photos forum. Also these separate threads you've started today would more appropriately be combined into a single thread in the general photography area. However if you do wish to post them as single entities in this forum, please just one per day.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation Bob.

PS. A reproduction of the Photo Critique rules for your reference:

CRITIQUE FORUM RULES

1. Only one critique request per day. We don't want the forum to be flooded with requests or monopolized by a single member.

2. Upload one image in your post. If you have a set, just provide a text link to the other images, either located in your member gallery here on Nikonites.com or off-site. This will prevent those with slower connections from getting bogged down.

3. Only post if you are willing to accept feedback from others. The intent of this forum is for personal growth.

4. Include as much info as possible along with your image, including:

• EXIF data
  • Intent/artistic interpretation of the photograph
5. To those providing critique: Be honest, but be kind. It's okay to say what you don't like or what you would've done differently, but also include a reason(s) why.

LINK

Last edited:

bobmielke

Hi again Bob. Another gorgeous photo from you and that 24-70!

I do however have to point out that as per this particular forum's rules, members are permitted only 1 thread per day in the Photo Critique forum. So far you've posted 3 of these threads in the Photo Critique forum in less than an hour.

Your experiences today showing off the the zoo and your 24-70 lens would perhaps be best displayed as a series of photos in a blog entry here or uploaded to your gallery or you could start your own "Bob" thread in the 365/daily photos forum. Also these separate threads you've started today would more appropriately be combined into a single thread in the general photography area. However if you do wish to post them as single entities in this forum, please just one per day.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation Bob.

PS. A reproduction of the Photo Critique rules for your reference:

LINK

Sorry, lesson learned.

bobmielke

Great pic Bob!

you should definitely post a blog entry about your new lens :)

I've only used it for a few hours. Give me more time to run it through its paces. Wait until I get the new D800 for which it was intended. I photographed the monkey at ISO 3200. It should prove interesting how well it does at 36.3 Meg resolution, full frame at 3200 ISO. I think I can arrange a side by side comparison.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Is it just me or an optical illusion or does anyone else see the vertical "band" artifact that runs through the monkey's left eye? I notice a similiar type vertical banding on the right side of this photo too...

It is interesting how in virtually all of these photos you have posted today you were basically all the way out at 70...

Personally I think this particular lens is gonna come alive on the D800...it will be interesting to see the difference...especially at the higher ISOs.

bobmielke

Is it just me or an optical illusion or does anyone else see the vertical "band" artifact that runs through the monkey's left eye? I notice a similiar type vertical banding on the right side of this photo too...

It is interesting how in virtually all of these photos you have posted today you were basically all the way out at 70...

Personally I think this particular lens is gonna come alive on the D800...it will be interesting to see the difference...especially at the higher ISOs.

Sorry, at extreme magnification I still can't see anything approaching a band. Not making excuses but this was shot through a PlexiGlas window so there may be a reflection there but I sure don't see it. Try viewing the photo at arm's length instead of a microscope.

I normally shoot with an 18-200mm zoom aboard my D7000. The 24-70 is new to me so I'm having to adapt. As you see by the Exif data this was shot at 3200 ISO. It will be interesting to see how the D800 responds at that ISO.

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Is it just me or an optical illusion or does anyone else see the vertical "band" artifact that runs through the monkey's left eye? I notice a similiar type vertical banding on the right side of this photo too....

Hi Jeff. I *think* I see what you're talking about with regard to the left eye but I don't see anything on the right of the photo. Is this the line you're referring to:

View attachment 8879View attachment 8880

If so, I'm not sure that it's just not a natural part of the monkey? Just a guess.

bobmielke

Hi Jeff. I *think* I see what you're talking about with regard to the left eye but I don't see anything on the right of the photo. Is this the line you're referring to:

View attachment 8880

If so, I'm not sure that it's just not a natural part of the monkey? Just a guess.

I sort of see what you're referring to but I also, have no idea what it is. Again, it could also be a dirty smear on the PlexiGlas.

Eye-level

Banned
You can really see them in the smaller exif photo...they are most definately there

The bands are not apparent in your other photos with this lens and now that you say you were shooting through plexiglass that explains it...that is a damn good lens it is picking up distortion in the plexiglass or maybe the zoo needs some windex!

bobmielke

The window was filthy. Unfortunately it was a bright sunny day that increases glare and accentuates dirt. I was so anxious to try the lens I was willing to risk it.

fotojack

OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but....if you were shooting outside in broad daylight, why would you shoot at 3200 ISO? That doesn't compute with me. I mean...just because you CAN shoot at high ISO's doesn't mean you HAVE to. When I'm outside, I don't shoot at anything over 200 ISO!

bluenoser

Banned
OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but....if you were shooting outside in broad daylight, why would you shoot at 3200 ISO? That doesn't compute with me. I mean...just because you CAN shoot at high ISO's doesn't mean you HAVE to. When I'm outside, I don't shoot at anything over 200 ISO!

Hi Jack. Well based on the EXIF information, Bob was shooting in A priority f/5.6 so I'm assuming ISO 3200 was chosen (by either Bob or the camera) to allow for the minimum acceptable shutter speed of 1/60 (which based on the rule of 1/focal length would still be lower than you'd like to see - all things equal. However, clearly Bob has an excellent shooting technique!).

Yes Bob could have opened the lens up more but he would have lost even more of the thin depth of field he was already working with. With his current settings - along with subject distance of 2.5m & an FL of 70mm - Bob had only about 5 inches in front of the monkey's head to work with so opening up any further from that distance and FL would pushed more of the monkey out of focus.

(I hope I got most of this right Bob! If I haven't please accept my apologies! :))

Last edited:

bobmielke

That's because I wasn't outside but in a dark hallway indoors with a viewing window. :)

bobmielke

Hi Jack. Well based on the EXIF information, Bob was shooting in A priority f/5.6 so I'm assuming ISO 3200 was chosen (by either Bob or the camera) to allow for the minimum acceptable shutter speed of 1/60 (which based on the rule of 1/focal length would still be lower than you'd like to see - all things equal. However, clearly Bob has an excellent shooting technique!).

Yes Bob could have opened the lens up more but he would have lost even more of the thin depth of field he was already working with. With his current settings - along with subject distance of 2.5m & an FL of 70mm - Bob had only about 5 inches in front of the monkey's head to work with so opening up any further from that distance and FL would pushed more of the monkey out of focus.

(I hope I got most of this right Bob! If I haven't please accept my apologies! :))

You are absolutely 100% accurate.