Prime lens 1.4 question

TeddyBear

Hello all,

Bit of newbie question. I'm looking into prime lens and looking into 50mm 1.4

But I ran into 1.4D AF and 1.4G SIC SW. Aside from price difference, can anyone explain the difference and which is better for D7000? Thx all

bluenoser

Banned
Tough not to respond to a "teddy bear" :)

Hi. Well the the easy part is the fact the G version is newer than the D version. For details on the differences between the 2 naming conventions please refer to these links:

AF-D
Nikkor Lens Technology

AFS-G
Nikkor Lens Technology

Which is the better of the 2 lenses? I'd say the G version however I'd say your money would be better spent on the even newer (and many say better) 50 1.8G.

50mm f/1.4G AF-S Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Ike_Gill

TB,
I have a 50mm Nikkor f1.4D and I have it on my D3s quite often - my 'nifty fifty' is one of my favorites. From what I've read the 50mm f1.8G is a sharper lens, but again the f1.4D (older model of the one's mentioned) is quite an adequate little lens and can be had pretty cheap. Other than being newer I believe the only real difference between D and G lenses is the G series don't have aperture rings; e.g. aperture must be set in the camera. //IG//

TeddyBear

Thank you all for your advise. More I think about it, it's harder to decide. Now i'm debating between 35mm and 50mm since on my D7K, 50mm is more like 75mm. So many choices...

bluenoser

Banned
Between the 35mm and 50mm, I really think you'd be better served overall with the 35mm focal length on on DX body like your D7000.