Monitor Calibration Products?

bluenoser

Banned
Hey folks.

I just bought a Dell U2410 and was wondering about monitor calibration. I've read a good little bit about it recently and am leaning towards getting a product like the Sypder4 Pro to help with the calibration.

Do any of you use a product like the Sypder4 or something similar? I know Spyder3 has the Express, Pro and Elite models and but figured the Pro would be everything a regular person could want (or would you get the Elite?)

Any comments, opinions or advice would be warmly received. :)

Thank you.

Last edited:

fotojack

Who do you want to calibrate it for.......you or other people? Your computer's graphics should have it's own calibration tools built in. Why waste money on a program that you already have for free? Remember, everyone sees colours differently, even if ever so slightly. For instance....I see blue, you see blue....but is it the same blue we see? No, it isn't. Calibrate your monitor to YOUR specifications...to what pleases you, not everyone else.

Dr Daniels

Since I only need to calibrate 1 screen, also a Dell, I went cheap and bought the Spyder 3 Express.
Once the device has calibrated your screen, the software shows you the before and after on your screen. The differences on my screen were quite massive. I had a horrible yellow cast before the calibration, and now it looks superb. Using the auto-calibration from the screen did not help very well.

I agree that we may perceive color differently, but calibrating your screen will ensure that your photos are free from any unwanted color cast perceivable by the majority of the population. It is also crucial to have a well-calibrated screen when doing prints.

In fact, if you want the best possible color results, you should also calibrate your camera using the color checkers and loading the newly created profile in Camera Raw.

Ranie

I have been using Spyder to calibrate my laptop and desktop monitors.
Lastweek, I did a calibration using Spyder 4 Elite.

My main reason why I do calibrate with Spyder is my printer(company which prints for me) also uses Spyder to calibrate their monitor for printing.
I do print my portrait, food and product photos for my clients and having the same color on my monitor and the company that prints my pictures helps my outputs to be consistent.

bluenoser

Banned
Who do you want to calibrate it for.......you or other people? .

Oh definitely for other people Jack. You see I'm a weak minded, insecure people pleaser who needs the comforting reassurance that comes from others liking my colours.

:)

I agree that we may perceive color differently, but calibrating your screen will ensure that your photos are free from any unwanted color cast perceivable by the majority of the population. It is also crucial to have a well-calibrated screen when doing prints.

I agree completely with this statement.

In fact, if you want the best possible color results, you should also calibrate your camera using the color checkers and loading the newly created profile in Camera Raw.

Great idea! Can this be done through Lightroom? Do you have a "dummies" guide to doing this (i.e. spoon fed for me? :))

I have been using Spyder to calibrate my laptop and desktop monitors.
Lastweek, I did a calibration using Spyder 4 Elite.

My main reason why I do calibrate with Spyder is my printer(company which prints for me) also uses Spyder to calibrate their monitor for printing.
I do print my portrait, food and product photos for my clients and having the same color on my monitor and the company that prints my pictures helps my outputs to be consistent.

I'm off to get my Spyder4 Pro today!

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions. As always, it's interesting to hear a variety of views on the topic.

Last edited:

Dr Daniels